Help with flexplate

-

Ryan ekes

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to get a flexplate for a 340/727 transmission with a symmetrical bolt pattern for the converter. I'm getting 3 bolts in and the last hole doesn't match up it's about a half a hole off. I'm sure it's a newer converter which is causing the problem here just dunno if I can use a flexplate for a newer vehicle and have everything still match up. All advice is appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know where to get a flexplate for a 340/727 transmission with a symmetrical bolt pattern for the converter. I'm getting 3 bolts in and the last hole doesn't match up it's about a half a hole off. I'm sure it's a newer converter which is causing the problem here just dunno if I can use a flexplate for a newer vehicle and have everything still match up. All advice is appreciated

Usually it's a lot simpler to egg the hole enough to get the bolt in.

I have yet to see a converter built for a 727 with a symmetrical bolt pattern unless it was a one off order. I think Kim is right that you just need to spin it till all are lined up

there is always the remote posibility that you have the flex plate backwards and that is why the ofset hole wont line up

and that is assuming it was all working together at one point, and we dont have a bunch of mismatched parts

there is always the remote posibility that you have the flex plate backwards and that is why the ofset hole wont line up...
I don't think you can put the flex plate on the engine backwards because of the crankshaft holes not being equally spaced either.

Yeah I tried that when I installed it initially. left the bolts loose for some slop even. Disconnected the transmission pulled the flexplate off and double checked that way too and it's still not getting the last bolt. At most I'm getting a half a hole but if the hole was dead center it would go is why I'm wondering if it could be symmetrical

1 hole is offset, u need to turn the converter till it lines up. Usually it's 4 times. Kim[/QUOTE

I have yet to see a converter built for a 727 with a symmetrical bolt pattern unless it was a one off order. I think Kim is right that you just need to spin it till all are lined up
Yeah I tried that when I first ran into the problem then pulled the trans then the flexplate and double checked that way too and still no luck at best I get a half a hole but if the hole was centered up on the flexplate like the rest it would bolt up perfectly is why I'm wondering if it's possibly symmetrical. Or maybe it's just a default from the factory idk at this point

You have to match what you have with the flex plate...

They come in symmetrical and non-symmetrical bolt pattern for the crank..

Then 10" or 11" for the torque converter pattern...

Find what you have and Mancini has them for $16:

Mancini Racing

10" symmetrical:

Mancini Racing Flex Plate

10" offset:

11" symmetrical:

11" offset:

Mancini Racing

10" symmetrical:

10" offset:

11" symmetrical:

11" offset:

T

Mancini Racing

10" symmetrical:

10" offset:

11" symmetrical:

11" offset:

Mancini Racing

10" symmetrical:

10" offset:

11" symmetrical:

11" offset:

It's a ten inch bolt pattern and the one I have bolts up to the crank perfectly it's just getting the last bolt in the converter I'm having problems with

T

It's a ten inch bolt pattern and the one I have bolts up to the crank perfectly it's just getting the last bolt in the converter I'm having problems with

Then figure out if your crank is symmetrical or offset and get the proper 10" flex plate to match...

Last edited:
T

It's not the crank that's the problem Karl. He said the torque converter is what's not lining up right

Oh, so you have the correct crank bolt pattern, but you can't line up the last bolt for the converter???

Are you starting all of the bolts in the pattern before tightening them???

Sometimes it helps to keep it "loose" until all the bolts have been started, then tighten them...

If that doesn't work, then drill the hole one size bigger or egg shape it and see if the bolt will go in

Oh, so you have the correct crank bolt pattern, but you can't line up the last bolt for the converter???

Are you starting all of the bolts in the pattern before tightening them???

Sometimes it helps to keep it "loose" until all the bolts have been started, then tighten them...

If that doesn't work, then drill the hole one size bigger or egg shape it and see if the bolt will go in
Yeah I talked to the guy who built it and he told me the converter was from a late model transmission and that's why I was having problems

Here is a PDF file showing the 4 different flex plates Chrysler used from 1962 to 2001 on both the 904 and the 727. You say the converter if from a "late model" transmission, do you know what year the transmission is? Any ID markings on the converter?
The " even / uneven" bolt holes refer to the crank shaft bolt holes. Both Kim and Fishy 68 posts are right. 30+ years in the converter industry and like Fishy68 I never saw a symmetrical bolt pattern on a stock 727 converter. Even our high stalls, unless it was some special order, used the Factory bolt pattern.

Attachments

• flexplates.pdf
    423.2 KB · Views: 189
Here is a PDF file showing the 4 different flex plates Chrysler used from 1962 to 2001 on both the 904 and the 727. You say the converter if from a "late model" transmission, do you know what year the transmission is? Any ID markings on the converter?
The " even / uneven" bolt holes refer to the crank shaft bolt holes. Both Kim and Fishy 68 posts are right. 30+ years in the converter industry and like Fishy68 I never saw a symmetrical bolt pattern on a stock 727 converter. Even our high stalls, unless it was some special order, used the Factory bolt pattern.
Thanks man I appreciate the information I'll look it up when I get home from work

A Magnum 5.2 flexplate is nuetral balance and symetrical pattern. Get one for a 96 or later.

Or do u have a 1996 or later converter, if so u will have to change it as it will not work with ur 727. U will have a lock up converter. Is ur 727 a lock up trans? Is the last inch or so on the input shaft smooth as in no splines for the last inch. Kim

Or do u have a 1996 or later converter, if so u will have to change it as it will not work with ur 727. U will have a lock up converter. Is ur 727 a lock up trans? Is the last inch or so on the input shaft smooth as in no splines for the last inch. Kim
Yeah it's a lockup trans with an overdrive

-
Back