Help with those thread cutting nuts on emblems.

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
So on the 66 dart sedan, which just got painted. Some of the letter emblems had been glued on, due to stud being gone.
I bought new (used) emblem letters and the studs are well worn. I bought a supply of thread cutting nuts, like the ones that are OEM. For the 1/8in stud, but due to some of the studs being already worn and cut, I cant get any bite with the new nuts. I tried wrapping the stud in electrical tape, and no good. Does anyone have a fix to get these new nuts to go onto the old worn studs???

Nut big side down on a flat surface like a concrete floor, anvil, etc.

With something that has a flat end, give the high points a gentle push down, it does not take a lot.

This closes up the hole diameter some.

Repeat / adjust as needed.

So on the 66 dart sedan, which just got painted. Some of the letter emblems had been glued on, due to stud being gone.
I bought new (used) emblem letters and the studs are well worn. I bought a supply of thread cutting nuts, like the ones that are OEM. For the 1/8in stud, but due to some of the studs being already worn and cut, I cant get any bite with the new nuts. I tried wrapping the stud in electrical tape, and no good. Does anyone have a fix to get these new nuts to go onto the old worn studs???

Go to Ace Hardware and get yourself some smaller nuts.

Sometimes a washer or 2 under the nut will move the nut up the stud where it has some bite. I'll also tap on the nut on a flat surface as already mentioned.

I just did my console trim. I threaded with a machine screw die and used machine screw nuts.

Thanks for all the ideas. I did try hitting it with a hammer, but still did not bite. Some of these studs are super mangled and thin.

If worse comes to worse you can simply use some 2 part epoxy unless you plan to remove again in the near future. Most people don't know that you can easily get epoxy to release with a little heat. I good heat gun will make it meld if you ever have to remove the nuts.
THE MORE CHEWED UP THE STUD IS THE BETTER THE EPOXY WILL ADHERE!!

Treblig

-
Back