Help with VIN...

-

GTGrinly

Reaction score
Ran a VIN on a car I have the opportunity to purchase, it decodes as a Barracuda, Special, 2dr htp, 340 240hp 4bbl, 1973, made in Newark DE...

Anybody know what the "Special" stands for???? And just for the hell of it what would/could it be worth as a rough but running project. It currently has a 318 in it but the (supposedly) original 340, condition unknown other then there are no holes in the block, comes with it. I haven't had a chance to look at the fender tag yet.

Thanks....Dave

I believe the "S" means it is a 'Cuda instead of a Barracuda, which would have an "H" in the second spot of the VIN. For example, BS23H3 would be a '73 'Cuda 340 and BH23H3 would be a '73 Barracuda 340.

Pricing is impossible to tell without pictures or an extremely detailed description.

I know what you mean about the pictures but the guys a little funny. From what I could see the floors, frame and trunk are in excellent shape..a little rust in the lower qtrs and front fender extentions but not extreme. The interior is all there but tired and dirty. I'm pretty sure the price we're discussing is well within the ball park just thought I'd throw it out for an opinion.

A "special" price class on the Barracuda gives it the "Cuda" upgrade.
Should have blacked out tail panel, stripe, 340, hd suspension, various other options...

Keep in mind that not all "BS" code 'Cuda's were 340 cars though.

this one has the "H" in the vin, and there is a 340 in the garage/shed along with the car that was supposedly pulled out of this car. Its really greasy and has alot of junk stacked on top of so I didn't check for the block serial numbers but could see the 340 casting number..

Not possible, the plant digit should be a B for Hamtrack, MI.

If it actually says F for Newark, DE, it is most likely a typo on the tag.
My thoughts exactly . "F" is just to the upper-left of "B" on the keyboard
( typewriter , or even telex keyboard ) .

It'd be even better if this 'Cuda was actually a Barracuda with a factory-installed 340 !
I've seen one 1974 Barracuda with a factory 360 : BH23L4B ! Unmodified ; flat hood , turn-down exhaust
( Ca model ) , and dark green metallic with white interior .

In the seventh position of the VIN is a "6"...which according to mymopar.com VIN decoder is Newark DE....

I thought the 7th digit for plant codes were letters only hmmmm :scratch:

I put the VIN in the VIN decoder at mymopar.com using a "6" and it came up Newark, don't know what to think about that...I'll double check the VIN and try again.

From the 1971 model year on, all E-bodies were made at Hamtramck. Online VIN decoders must not know that.

From the 1971 model year on, all E-bodies were made at Hamtramck. Online VIN decoders must not know that.
Not to be contentious , but the hardtops ( "23" ) were still built at the L.A. facility through ~May / June 1971 ; all converts ( "27" ) were built at Hamtramck .

LA apparently stopped all E-body production sometime in May of 1970 actually.

If anyone has an LA built E-Body dated after that, believe me, I would LOVE to see it.

-
Back