Help

-

pyrojim

Reaction score
Can anyone identify these? One is under the steering column and the other is engine compartment and looks like it originates from inside the speedometer ????? Thing????
Thanks

Attachments

• 2013-02-10_12-34-20_877.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 323
  • 2013-02-10_14-00-44_338.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 341
The engine compartment one looks like it could be for a fender mount turn signal. Check the other side of the vehicle around the headlight wiring, there may be a similar one.

Nope, the harness' are all in tact, all maker lights are good. The one in the engine bay goes into the same unit the Speedo cable goes into?

Nope, the harness' are all in tact, all maker lights are good. The one in the engine bay goes into the same unit the Speedo cable goes into?

Ahhhh!!! I had that same wire disconnected! Never found out what it was for.. Now Im curious and hope someone can help you out, so I know what it is also.

Funny thing, it was in the old harness but dead headed, it may have . been part of the ac? Was an ac car but everything is disconnected. It just looks like it originates from whatever in the hell that round thing us the Speedo cable passes through from the guage to the tranny? Sorry, computer broke so I'm using my phone

Nice-looking engine bay. I would suspect for AC compressor clutch, since that is a 1-wire connection. Others might be a windshield washer pump or cruise control, though the latter likely requires more wires. Since it passes thru the speedometer cable grommet, it is probably an after-market addition and that was the easiest hole to use.

Nice-looking engine bay. I would suspect for AC compressor clutch, since that is a 1-wire connection. Others might be a windshield washer pump or cruise control, though the latter likely requires more wires. Since it passes thru the speedometer cable grommet, it is probably an after-market addition and that was the easiest hole to use.
It does'nt pass through the grommet, It originates in this thing??? Whatever it might be. Sorry, I'm new to this and don't know all the buzz words yet but I am getting one hell of an education.
Additionally, there is one hanging out under the steering column. I'm not sure what the previous owner had done to the car.
Your cruise control theory makes a lot of sense now.
Thank you!!

I guess you just have to try to figure out what doesn't work. Hood lite, horn, under dash reverse lite, cig lighter, etc...I don't know. A wiring diagram with all the options would help. Eventually you should be able to figure it out. If you know the previous owner you could ask.

I'm pretty sure that is the speedo cable, I'm just not sure what the round thing is that it passes through?? Thats where the wire comes from. I'm gonna stick with cruise and not worry about it.

Pretty clean and easy to see whats happening. Just some undefined parts but I'm sure I'll work it out.

Attachments

• 2013-01-19_19-57-57_383.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 244
My 71 Scamp also has that same piece. I know its a 2 piece speedo cable. A lower section that will screw into that larger cylinder (the piece with that wire) then the upper cable coming out of that to your speedo. Mine was not hooked up either and again I have no idea what that large cylinder is suppose to do.

Im sure someone has some knowledge but I do not believe it has to do with Cruise Control. There are no extra switches or anything that would allow me to set the cruise. It may have something to do with the actual speed sensor just my opinion.

Weren't there "ratio adaptors" on some musclecars back then? Is that the green car in your sig photo? '68 Cuda coupe?? I was thinking cruise control, but I'm just guessing. Is the mystery round object mounted to the wheelhouse? Inquiring minds want to know!!

ATB

BC

That brings up two good questions. I see on the schematic (not that I'm great in reading them) it looks like the one under the dash is a hand break release switch??? Maybe a light to show the e brake is on. The second question arises from the round thing that the speedo cable runs through??? It may be a ratio adapter, which would be good. I run 15" wheels and my speedo is off!!! I wonder if that is the place to get the speedo singing the right tune???

What color is the under dash wire? Yellow is dome lights, (door switch), black is brake switch

The factory never used any gearboxes in the speedo cable. I cannot think what the electrical connector is, unless it is aftermarket cruise control. I don't believe there was ever any emissions equipment, etc, connected to the speedo.

Your welcome although I didnt do anything but give ya a link LOL! At least we both know that it doesnt have to be hooked up to anything. I will probably by buying a new cable for my car and eliminating the 2 cable system.

-
Back