Help!!

-

66VALIANT

Reaction score
Hey does anyone know how the hell to fit a 383 b block under the hood of a 66 plymouth valiant im gonna use shumacher headers but i want a low intake but dont want to sacrifice power my cam is a 310 duration 440 exh 510 int, so i cant put a tiny one on it, would a mopar dual plane be okay what else can i do to fit this i want to get a glass hood to so the bracing wont be there is there a certain size air cleaner i should get i want a k&n x streame, anything else i should want for or do this is my first big block

did you find headers???or are they fenderwells? heres my 66 cuda with hipo factory manifolds. they are TIGHT!!! i cant remember the name of the outfit that makes the mounts that bolt the b block in but they are available. $195 take your time and it WILL fit

engine top view.JPG

66VALIANT said:
Hey does anyone know how the hell to fit a 383 b block under the hood of a 66 plymouth valiant im gonna use shumacher headers but i want a low intake but dont want to sacrifice power my cam is a 310 duration 440 exh 510 int, so i cant put a tiny one on it, would a mopar dual plane be okay what else can i do to fit this i want to get a glass hood to so the bracing wont be there is there a certain size air cleaner i should get i want a k&n x streame, anything else i should want for or do this is my first big block

Get a 67 and newer A body, would make it way easier,
or a 402 small block,LOL.

http://store.summitracing.com/defau...eywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp

Mopar Performance 402 C.I.D. Magnum 435 HP Crate Engines

http://bigblockdart.com/

NO AND NO , i love this 66 . i woulndt get rid of it fer nothin and gettin a 402 aint cheap, thanks for the help lol

66VALIANT said:
oh by the way i like your valiant nice all original?

Thanks, for the compliment. :) Look at Bigblock dart,for more better hints.

http://bigblockdart.com/

Not exactly all original, it is a factory V8 273 2bbl car;
I added {Midas installed} dual exhaust,with Dynomax Super turbo mufflers,
and 69 era Dart chrome tips;
I added electronic ignition, I rebuilt a 318,and put a cam in it,
added an old small port Edelbrock intake and Edlebrock electric choke 4bbl.

I put # 302 small block 1987 era heads on the engine,they have smaller combustion chambers, than the normal 1967-1984 ish 318's did.

I put 14 inch rims/tires/hubcaps on right after buying the car,
the stock size tires were 7.00x13, the tires on the car were much shorter,and
the speedometer was off by over 10 mph at 60 mph.

I am using 205/70/r14 tires,"noname" off brand tires. 14 x 5.5 rims,
which are a little harder to find in the small bolt pattern. The 14 x 4.5 narrow rims are easier to find,and would be ok for 195/75x14 narrower tires.

I also bought a new windshield thru Diamond/Triumph auto glass,
they installed it for less than $300.00

Hey Sweatybetty, those hi po manifolds look neat (but tight!) in there. What is the measurement between the manifold mounting faces on the heads and the inner fenders? I'm thinking of putting a big block in my wagon and wondering how much tighter it will be for making up headers?

thanks

racingsnake440 said:
Hey Sweatybetty, those hi po manifolds look neat (but tight!) in there. What is the measurement between the manifold mounting faces on the heads and the inner fenders? I'm thinking of putting a big block in my wagon and wondering how much tighter it will be for making up headers?

thanks

i dont have the engine in the car now so i cant get the measurement for you. i had it in there to make mounts before i paint. the only headers ive seen have been homemade fenderwall type. i dont really want to cut my car up so im using these. with the manifolds on there was around 1/2" on the right and around 1" on the left. the only major problem is offsetting the steering column with some u joints.

how far did you have to offset the steering column? Is the motor offset the same amount as a small block?

racingsnake440 said:
how far did you have to offset the steering column? Is the motor offset the same amount as a small block?

i havent gotten to the ujoints part yet. theres about 1/4" between the steering shaft and the manifold. about the small block offset, i dont have a clue. i just tried to clear everything i could

I applaud you folks for all the work you're doing on your pre-67 A bodies, but do you think it's really worth the pain of putting a 383 in a 66 or older Dart\Valiant? Now, I've never driven one of these with a big block, so I really have nothing to compare big or small block performance. However, my 66 Vart has a warmed over 360 that's probably putting out about 375 - 390 flywheel HP and that sucker will flatten your eyeballs when you punch the go pedal. :thumblef: The biggest thing with any of these old A bodies, or any car for that matter, is getting the power to the ground without going up in smoke - although I do love to put on a good smoke show occassionally! The 360 just slipped into my 66 as slick as you please (original 273), without the hassles of moving the steering mechanism, and even the 727 went in with absolutely no modifications to the tranny tunnel or anywhere else. I'm still using the original 273 manifolds, which I know is a major constriction to the engine's power output, but finding any exhaust setup for these old cars is a real headache, and VERY expensive. :wack: So, I guess what I'm trying to say here is that for the problems associated with putting a 383 in that small engine bay, wouldn't you be just as well off with a well built 360 and some well chosen speed parts. As for the 402 stroker, I don't think you'll make a LOT more power than a well planned 360 combo, you'll just have the power band further down in the RPM range, and the 360 isn't all that bad for low end torque to begin with.

Now, please don't think I'm putting down anyone's car or their desire to put whatever engine they choose in there, because that's not my intention. :) My 66 will definitely keep a small block in it as long as I own it, since I'm very happy with the performance and handling as it is now. On the other hand, I have a 67 Dart GT 2dr HT that is also an original V8 car, and that one has been slated to get a big block ever since I bought it about 20 years ago. I already have the 400 block and 727 tranny, and when the 66 is finished I'll be joining you in the big block world, but I don't think I'd want the headaches of doing that with a pre-67. Keep on enjoying your A bodies everyone. :headbang:

Here here. I love my two 66 Valiants. one is a 273 original and the other has a very stout 340 on the engine stand in my garage. I agree with Old Vart. It is too much hassle to get a 383 in the early abody plus the addition of headers. plan on cutting something for sure. the 340 or 360 option is great for these little cars and cheaper too. the 383 was not rated that much higher than a 340 back in tha day. but if you already have the 383 sitting in the garage I guess go for it. you will manage to get it done with patience and a little help from the guys around here. BBDart is good too.

I have to agree with oldvart. I love the 383, I think it is an awesome engine. But you can make a 360 run pretty good in an early a body and the 360 is cheap and plentiful.
It is also lighter than a 383. If I had a 67-up dart, a big block would be in it. But since I have a 66, a 360 or a 408 will be as big as it will get. And it was hard enough on the wallet to buy headers for a small block. Don't know what headers would cost for a b or rb engine!

i originally planned on using a 360. bought a 6 pack, schumacher mounts, hemi 4 spd and a 360 with factory 4 spd. paid the guy for the motor & trans and then he bailed. never got them or my $$. so plan b is to use the 383 with a 413 crank, long rods. should be 431 cid when its done. besides, its only money!

6pack air cleaner.jpg

sweatybetty said:
i originally planned on using a 360. bought a 6 pack, schumacher mounts, hemi 4 spd and a 360 with factory 4 spd. paid the guy for the motor & trans and then he bailed. never got them or my $$. so plan b is to use the 383 with a 413 crank, long rods. should be 431 cid when its done. besides, its only money!

WOW if you put the work into the heads that 431 should scream I built a long rod 451 for my last challenger that screamed.
IMHO I would use al water pump housing and heads to keep the weight down.

sweatybetty: OUCH! That's taking a hard hit on the old pocketbook, and bring your project to a fast stop. It looks like you're doing some very nice work there, and it should be a real screamer once it's finished. Please keep us updated with more photos and details as the installation progresses. :)

-
Back