HEMI differences

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 3 year plan to get a HEMI into my 68 coronet to replace the 440 and I see Jegs and summit have the crate HEMIs

my question is: what is the difference between the 426, 472, and 528 as far as dimensions ......do they all interchange stuff like valve covers intake manifolds and items as such??

Motor mounts: Are there mounts available to bolt up to a 440 K-frame?

flywheel: do the crate motors take the standard 6 bolt flywheel??

Anyone have experience with the mopar performance HEMI engines?

All the hemi crate motors use the same mounts,only difference is internal with bore and stroke.Flywheel is a stock 8 bolt flange.All hemi engine that are bought,go from chrysler to Ray Barton race engines to have it gone over and clearanced properly,then return to seller.mrmopartech
If you need more help,call me at 514 659 0445

Holy pricepoint, Batman, I had no idea you were that flush!!!

I have a 3 year plan to get a HEMI into my 68 coronet to replace the 440 and I see Jegs and summit have the crate HEMIs

my question is: what is the difference between the 426, 472, and 528 as far as dimensions ......do they all interchange stuff like valve covers intake manifolds and items as such??

Motor mounts: Are there mounts available to bolt up to a 440 K-frame?

flywheel: do the crate motors take the standard 6 bolt flywheel??

Anyone have experience with the mopar performance HEMI engines?

Don't forget, there was a ton of gusseting and reinforcement to to all factory Hemi cars.

When lying under my 68 Hemi Road Runner you can see the extra reinforcement that was not included on my 1969 44O GTX.

Same trans, same rear end, just more reinforcement at chassis stress points. I'm sure those crate hemis are pumping out more torque than my factory stock 68 426 was.

Don't forget, there was a ton of gusseting and reinforcement to to all factory Hemi cars.

When lying under my 68 Hemi Road Runner you can see the extra reinforcement that was not included on my 1969 44O GTX.

Same trans, same rear end, just more reinforcement at chassis stress points. I'm sure those crate hemis are pumping out more torque than my factory stock 68 426 was.

I was planning subframe connectors and torque boxes in my original build with a 440. The idea of a HEMI came recently with a job upgrade that puts it in reach. But I am planning an upgrade to a moser Dana 60 and 18 spline 4 speed and torsion bar perch gussets and .........???

the car is already built like a tank IMO because its not a 2 door .....its actually a wagon so I have the "sedan" door post for a lot of extra support. ......at least it seems like

They are all based on the 426 engine so all exterior parts interchange.

Also, Frankie makes a good point, especially with 4 speed cars. I have seen Hemi automatic cars that were the same as 440 and other cars, but the 4 speed cars always had more reinforcements like torque boxes and such.

With your excellent "dime roll" welding skillz, reinforcing areas shouldn't be a problem!!! And yes, holy price point, Batgirl, did you win the lotto???

I would not sweat the 23 spline, use it, nobody will know but you.
18 splines are ridiculous amounts of money, but you can change out a 23 to a 18 alot cheaper.
I cannot wait until you unveil the finished product.

With your excellent "dime roll" welding skillz, reinforcing areas shouldn't be a problem!!! And yes, holy price point, Batgirl, did you win the lotto???

You caint hide money.

nah, I wish I won the lotto but instead I went to college and sacrificed a 70 cuda to pay for college while working 40 hour weeks + classes and then graduated ......and finally its paying off because someone actually hired this lazy gal. :D:D

besides, everyday little people go to buy new Toyotas for 20k ++ so what's the difference ....I would like to think I am investing smarter .......way more fun too.

nah, I wish I won the lotto but instead I went to college and sacrificed a 70 cuda to pay for college while working 40 hour weeks + classes and then graduated ......and finally its paying off because someone actually hired this lazy gal. :D:D

besides, everyday little people go to buy new Toyotas for 20k ++ so what's the difference ....I would like to think I am investing smarter .......way more fun too.

Good for you! Not that it is any bodies business...

Dont forget your skid plate and 150mph speedo. And a station waggin! Thats cool! Hey,gonna throw badges on it? Imagine, 426 hemi emblems on top of wood grain siding...

If i can recommend an EFI setup instead of the dual carbs. I have read many articles on this for the hemi , and it takes it from idling like a coffee can full of rocks , and having to beat it with a whip to get it out of your garage, to being quite civilized and easy to start and drive.

If i can recommend an EFI setup instead of the dual carbs. I have read many articles on this for the hemi , and it takes it from idling like a coffee can full of rocks , and having to beat it with a whip to get it out of your garage, to being quite civilized and easy to start and drive.

no offense ....but why would you want a smooth HEMI.

The good thing is no matter how rough the idle is, it will smooth out when it counts. ( he makes it down a nice country road just fine .....even obeys the local traffic laws ) :farao::D:D:D

go to 8:20 ....and especially 8:42 when it goes inside the car :burnout:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9LFgsLQATc"]Richard Petty's 200mph Plymouth Superbird On The Road - YouTube[/ame]

It's all in the tuning. The guy I bought my 72 Duster from has a 68 HEMI Charger and he said people who have a rough running stock HEMI doesn't know how to tune the carbs. He can start his Charger up and let the thing sit and idle for however long he wants. Drives it everywhere, never trailers it.

no offense ....but why would you want a smooth HEMI.

The good thing is no matter how rough the idle is, it will smooth out when it counts. ( he makes it down a nice country road just fine .....even obeys the local traffic laws ) :farao::D:D:D

go to 8:20 ....and especially 8:42 when it goes inside the car :burnout:

Richard Petty's 200mph Plymouth Superbird On The Road - YouTube

Pure racecars are freakin great, but a ***** to live with on the street on a daily basis. I am assuming that she wants to drive this thing a lot. If so EFI makes it more livable, and user friendly, without taking away from its power when you hit the loud pedal.

Here's a Hemi difference you may not have seen before.
This is a NASCAR rod like what chrysler put in that Petty race Hemi.
Bolts to a full radius fillet Kellogg forged crank.
1/2" rod bolts and 1.09 pin dia. Double shot peened. Came in a few different lengths.
As you can see the race hemis used some different parts than its lower compression street Hemi cousin. Kept them together for 500 miles running the tires off em.
Although outdated and very heavy from a modern point of veiw they did their job.
Shown next to a stock 440 rod.

Attachments

• IMG_20151119_194428_144.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 137
Video is excellent! Only thing is I miss hearing him really hit it hard through the gears. Would of been nice to of done it at least once. LOL

Video is excellent! Only thing is I miss hearing him really hit it hard through the gears. Would of been nice to of done it at least once. LOL

never had to beat either one of mine out of the garage !

-
Back