Hemi guys.....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
What did you do about the right side inner fender? When my car was mocked up with the plastic block it cleared the inner fender. This was the case with my friends car also. Well my friend is putting his car together and the valve cover is hitting the inner fender. Apparently the plastic mock up block is not a very good replica. My body guy just sprayed the engine bay, so now he is going to have some more body work to do in the bay. He is not going to just hammer the snot out of it. I found this picture somewhere of how someone else took care of it. Any advice??

Attachments

• right side inner fender.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 571
Can you fab a valve cover? Do damage to it (valve cover) instead of the body. Just make sure it still has vacuum.

the only way it will fit is to mod that fender...

i can get pics tomarrow to show you better...

Attachments

• 100_3514.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 578
Shoehorn nightmares. Won't it mess with the suspensions geometry if you alter that fender? Maybe it's time to go with something like this
0902cct_04_z+2009_classic_trucks_suspension_buyers_guide+heidts_hot_rod_shop.jpg

Shoehorn nightmares. Won't it mess with the suspensions geometry if you alter that fender? Maybe it's time to go with something like this
0902cct_04_z+2009_classic_trucks_suspension_buyers_guide+heidts_hot_rod_shop.jpg

all you have to mess with is just the "inside" of the shock tower... if you look at the pic i posted you can see (kinda) its flat right from the edge of the second circle around the shock stud

P.S. this is where i work lol

www.ssandafx.com

also it helps to put half inch spacer between the k and the frame...

like i said let me get some pics tomarrow

I see what you're saying, although I was thinking that it's a hemi, they vibrate and rattle around hard. I've seen some 360 engines shake pretty good that it made you think they were going to rip themselves out of the motor mounts. I never did a hemi -- but cool place ya work :)

Can you fab a valve cover? Do damage to it (valve cover) instead of the body. Just make sure it still has vacuum.
Indy Cylinder makes a "clearanced" valve cover, problem is I don't think it will clear with the Stage V rockers I will probably be using....

the only way it will fit is to mod that fender...

i can get pics tomarrow to show you better...
Body guy is looking for pictures prior to paint work, so he can see where to cut it with the least amount of nightmares getting it put back together.....

THe inner sheet metal is a small distance off of the shock mount, so changing it a bit causes no problems.....

P.S. this is where i work lol

www.ssandafx.com

also it helps to put half inch spacer between the k and the frame...

like i said let me get some pics tomarrow
Spaceing the k frame will not help in my case, car has a motor plate in it. From what I remember reading the real reason the k-frame had spacers was to get the carbs off of the hood scoop some. But using the motor plate makes all that a non-issue....

Indy Cylinder makes a "clearanced" valve cover, problem is I don't think it will clear with the Stage V rockers I will probably be using....

they wont clear the rockers or the retainers

Body guy is looking for pictures prior to paint work, so he can see where to cut it with the least amount of nightmares getting it put back together.....

more pics for ya tomrrow

THe inner sheet metal is a small distance off of the shock mount, so changing it a bit causes no problems.....

yep

Spaceing the k frame will not help in my case, car has a motor plate in it. From what I remember reading the real reason the k-frame had spacers was to get the carbs off of the hood scoop some. But using the motor plate makes all that a non-issue...

also helped with bump steer and header cleance

Spoke with a guy a while back about all this. He said the real fix for the bump steer issue is to move the steering box over and then tweak the idler arm a few degrees, or something of that nature. We had a long conversation about the pros & cons of a tube front end vs the factory stuff. I have had more than 1 conversation with Mark at http://www.perfweldheaders.com/index.html about building headers for the thing and he told me that the t-bars don't really create that many issues with a custom built set of headers. Of course his headers are all slip tube stuff, so you put the primariy tubes on the car, leave them loose and then slip on the collectors. I very well might put an alter-k in the car, so the bump steer and header troulbles will not be of a concern.

not really a hemi guy :yawinkle: but I found this ,it's the Gene Snow car.nice hammer work on the right inner fender

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJ,!jgE2vMb86gIBN4V!pWzP!~~_4.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 559
Spoke with a guy a while back about all this. He said the real fix for the bump steer issue is to move the steering box over and then tweak the idler arm a few degrees, or something of that nature. We had a long conversation about the pros & cons of a tube front end vs the factory stuff. I have had more than 1 conversation with Mark at http://www.perfweldheaders.com/index.html about building headers for the thing and he told me that the t-bars don't really create that many issues with a custom built set of headers. Of course his headers are all slip tube stuff, so you put the primariy tubes on the car, leave them loose and then slip on the collectors. I very well might put an alter-k in the car, so the bump steer and header troulbles will not be of a concern.

yea you have to run custom headers with these cars unless you want to change 7 of the 8 tubes...

and you do not need an alter K... just have to do the inner fender mod and they fit fine...

my friend is putting his car together and the valve cover is hitting the inner fender.
Is he using factory stamped-steel covers and only installing them after the engine is in place?

You certainly would have a tough time of it with any type of aftermarket and/or cast valve covers.

Of course, I don't have any idea how he has his engine positioned but there is room to space the
engine properly for clearance with the OEM stamped steel covers.

DennysShop04-31-11039.jpg

DennysShop04-31-11046.jpg

yep, stock covers fit on mine without any work (if it had stock valve gear and you never intended to pull them off). but if your running a solid cam, or aftermarket covers (needed for big valve train) your gonna have to cut it. the shock isn't moved so it doesn't affect geometry. also like stated, off the shelf headers don't really work... at all

don't mind the dirt, it gets driven!!
PB180085.jpg

crossram.jpg

yep, stock covers fit on mine without any work (if it had stock valve gear and you never intended to pull them off). but if your running a solid cam, or aftermarket covers (needed for big valve train) your gonna have to cut it. the shock isn't moved so it doesn't affect geometry. also like stated, off the shelf headers don't really work... at all

PB180085.jpg

there ya go... thats the pic i was gonna get! no matter what though you have to jack up the engine to get that valve cover off once the motors in lol

PB180085.jpg

crossram.jpg
Got any pix prior to paint? EZ is just looking for the most simple way, besides the bfh, to solve the problem......My friend has a Barton valve train, so he has some big covers. I will probably be using Stage V rockers, so I am quessing I will need some big covers as well.....

You don't have to get custom headers anymore. TTI has designed Hemi headers for A-bodies.

But if you use a SSandAFX K-member kit you will have to weld it up to put your motor exactly in the place per the TTI instructions.

Attachments

• P27_copy-1.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 493
  • P17_copy-1.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 498
  • P45_copy-1.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 520
I am not using a Mopar trans so I would be a bit leary of using any of the shelf header..the gm 4l80e is a bit larger than a 727....

yes sir! you know him?

I have spoken with him a few times. A person I know in Glendale is very good friends with Greg, that's how I got his number.
Greg and I could not come up with a time frame. So, I purcahsed a partially finished Dart and had it finished. The sold that and HemiDenny build a Demon for me....Old Man Mopar's brother.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=88358

and here is a picture of the Dart

Attachments

• DSCF0531.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 477
  • DSCF0524.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 488
when was this? cuz we been having orders come in left and right...

and we get them in and out in 9 months

-
Back