Hemi hood scoop "bars"

-

GTSDustin

Reaction score
I see alot of the hemi scoops that has "jail-bars" for support. What could I use that would look good and also serve a purpose? I was wanting to use something chrome or stainless.. Any ideas?

how about some stainless tubing with a long bolt running thought it if that makes sense? I'v seen that done and with the tubing polished it looked nice. just a thought.......

not that ive done it, but ive heard of people using brake lines cut down with a bolt through the center

Great Idea! Maybe some stainless fuel line..Would like to find a stainless allen head bolt or something...thanks guys!

How many would you guys recommend? I have seen as many as 5 and little as 2..I kinda like just 2.

how about some stainless tubing with a long bolt running thought it if that makes sense? I'v seen that done and with the tubing polished it looked nice. just a thought.......

Thats what I was thinking. What came to mind 1st was plumbing fo the sink or toilet. It could be cut to length.

Aluminium rod drilled and threaded/bolted on underside and 2" aluminum disc drilled, countersunk/bolted to rod on the top side under and then ES-6100 to underside of hood:glasses7:.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 584
  • 002.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 537
All great ideas! And that looks awesome pnk6pk! So you don't see any bolt heads or anything from the top when finished? Super slick!

I believe 2 came on them originally.When they would race them, the scoop would tear off, so guys/gals would put on 1 or more extra rods to hold them down better.:D

I believe 2 came on them originally.When they would race them, the scoop would tear off, so guys/gals would put on 1 or more extra rods to hold them down better.:D
That's an awesome pic! And yes I knew I have seen 2 on them, must have been original hemi cars I seen it one. I think 2 would be suffecient for me, I'll try to keep her under 100 haha..

Here's mine.I put hood pins on for that very reason(100+),don't want to have my hood fly up!:tard:

Awesome! That looks nice! So is there 4 in a set, or did you buy two pairs? Oh by the way Tony, Got your package Saturday, sorry forgot to PM you! I installed it yesterday. Thanks alot!

Awesome! That looks nice! So is there 4 in a set, or did you buy two pairs? Oh by the way Tony, Got your package Saturday, sorry forgot to PM you! I installed it yesterday. Thanks alot!
Nevermind, I just reread your post, you get a pair for the money..duh haha...It's late I'm tired!

Ive used 3 of brake lines cut down and a long screw liked alot of the other members.

I used the chrome water fill tubes for a toilet and flat allen head bolts.
Doug

Attachments

• 000_3832.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 469
And just a bit of advise,put hood pins in as my son and I had the car out on the highway messing around and when we hit the 3 digit#s the factory hood springs still allowed the rear of the hood to lift from the air coming in.
Doug

And just a bit of advise,put hood pins in as my son and I had the car out on the highway messing around and when we hit the 3 digit#s the factory hood springs still allowed the rear of the hood to lift from the air coming in.
Doug
I love your idea, it turned out great! And I already have hood pins, it's a full pin on glass hood.

I was not going to put any on my but, that little voice in my head said "I should". I used two 3/8" carrage bolts. The kind that have a domed head. Some call them "Stove bolts". My scoop has a 6" opening BTW.

I used 1/2" aluminum tubbing and polished them with wheel polish. Because the top of the hood scoop is at an angle and I wanted the heads of the bolts to be flush. I had to do some "engineering".

You have to file the square parts of the bolt down under the head so the whole shank (shaft) is round. Then I took a hacksaw and cut the shaft about 1/3 the shaft diameter directly under the bolt head, so I could bend the head of the bold to match the slope of the hood scoop. If your really abisious you could weld the cut but, I did not think that was required. I might have to eat my words on the first pass.....:wack: The 3/8" bold has lots of meat.

I also bonded my scoop to the hood with Pro Seal 220 (urathane body panel goo) and bolted.

Then painted the whole scoop mat black. Bob's your uncle! :thumleft:

Attachments

• P5270027.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 380
  • P5200011.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 415
  • P5200009.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 381
I was not going to put any on my but, that little voice in my head said "I should".

If you were just puttin' around town, you wouldn't need any but as you go faster, that big scoop starts to put a lot of pressure on the mounting points. As the SS cars got faster and faster, (now well over 150 MPH) you started to see more supports added to the front edge of the scoops.

And FWIW, I talked to the owner of AAR fiberglass at the mopar Nats a few years ago and he told me that his SS/AH customers were NOT bonding the scoops to the hood anymore as they ALWAYS crack. Strictly bolt on now, and no ruined paint jobs.

As the Ramchargers did more testing, they got better at scoop design. The 1969 440-6 scoops made allowances for the boundary layer and it only needed that single center support. Even the modern P/S scoops were finessed by Mopar. They would switch from the oval opening to the triangular opening depending on the air quality at the track. One has less drag than the other.

-
Back