HEMI School Essay

-

DTFTH45

We Are...Penn State!
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I have to write an essay for school that can be on any topic....so I chose the Hemi! Part of the requirements is to get a interview with someone, so I figured that I would ask a bunch of people here on FABO. I would love to hear about any experiences you guys have had over the years with the Hemi. History is fine too, but I really would love to hear about personal experiences. Post away! Thanks for you time :happy1::happy1:

wiki is your friend... search Tom Hoover, Dick Landy, Ronnie Sox are all influential to the 426 hemi

My first hemi experience isn't really worth bragging but it was fun for the 15 year old me - it first randomly showed up at my house on it's way to storage and we talked about my 68 Charger and Demon, he goes to leave and does a 200ft burn out in our driveway haha later the next summer went to a local car show in it (numbers matching 66 Coronet black/black column shift (I remember thinking the PRN123 in the shift thing was the baddest *** thing I'd ever seen) we left the show and did a 100ft burn out it was awesome still have poster sized pics of the car doing the burn out in my drive way...

When the first 426 Race Hemi's became available in 1964,

A) They were Race Only cars, and you needed to be connected to get one.
B) Before you could even get close to purchasing one, you were contacted by the
Plymouth or Dodge Factory representative who asked you what your credentials were,
and what were your Race-intentions for use with the car.

C) Those 'two' above mentioned items, pretty much eliminated any 'Joe' who was not connected from purchasing a 1964 Race Hemi.

And let's not forget that the 426 was hardly the first...................

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemi_engine

A quote:

"Hemispherical cylinder heads have been used since at least 1901;[2] they were used by the Belgian car maker Pipe in 1905[3] and the 1907 Fiat 130 HP Grand Prix racer.[4] The Peugeot Grand Prix Car of 1912 and the Alfa Romeo Grand Prix car of 1914 both were four valve engines also, Daimler, and Riley were also using hemispherical combustion chambers. Stutz, beginning in 1912, used four-valve engines,[5]"

However, the above page seems to have completely ignored the Chrysler aircraft hemi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_IV-2220

"The Chrysler XIV-2220 (XI-2220 from 1944) was an experimental 2,500 hp liquid-cooled inverted-V-16 aircraft engine designed by Chrysler starting in 1940. Although several aircraft designs had considered using it, by the time it was ready for use in 1945 the war was already over. Only a few engines were built during the program, and it retained its 'X' designation the entire time as the XIV-2220, later XI-2220. The IV-2220 is historically important as it was Chrysler's first hemi, a design that would re-appear for many years later and is now a Chrysler trademark."

=======================================================================================

These were used experimentally in the already impressive, magnificent P-47 Thunderbolt, "The Jug" one of the all time most impressive aircraft ever built. Unfortunately, the Chrysler engine turned the aircraft into an incredibly ugly piece of work, in my opinion

Chrysler_IV-2220_%281%29.PNG

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/hemi-aircraft.html

"Hemi" powered P-47

republic_xp-47h.jpg

What I much prefer.......................................

The definitive Republic P-47

P47-bankleft-02.jpg

republic-p47-thunderbolt_21.jpg

Thanks for all your help guys!

Keep the stories coming!

And yeah, i did know it was 4/26 :D

Little known fact about the hemis is that they were great air flow heads but horrible at burning fuel efficiently because they had no "squish" or quench area. You had the power but you were literally dumping fuel down the exhaust pipes. Today's "hemis" are not actual hemis in which they are referred to as "semi-hemis." This is because they added the "squish" or quench areas which also increased compression because there was less space left for the fuel/air mix to populate. To put it bluntly they took the hemi-circle and added metal on each side to make the squish areas. This allows them to burn fuel much better. Also, Ford makes a hemi also, its called a BOSS. Copyright purposes and so forth prevents ford from using hemi

-
Back