Hey look, another new guy!

-

myoung

Reaction score
Hey everybody, just found this place the other day and just got signed up.

Some basic info on me, I'm a Chevy guy at heart, but I love various cars from all across the board. Mopars, Fords, AMC's, doesn't matter to me much, they all have cars I love. While I haven't owned anything other than G.M.'s and a couple Mopars, I do have a soft spot in my heart for some of the others and if the sweet deal came along, I'd snatch 'em up.

I've been building and restoring cars for about 30 years now. It started with my Dad's projects when I was a kid, and then I bought my first at 14. I had my own shop for 6 years, but had to close it down due to a couple years of just plain ol' bad luck. I still do some side work, but I'm trying to get away from that so I can think about finally working on something for me.

I've cut down my collection of classics to just three, but they still want way too much of my money to do much with them for now. I have my two Chevy"s, a '59 Bel Air and a '65 Corvair, and I have my '66 Barracuda. I do have every intention of building something special with each one of them when time, money and enthusiasm allow, but for now they just sit in my shop. I drive the Cuda and the Corvair once in a while to keep the cob webs off, the '59 hasn't seen the road since '88 when I totaled it. That's a story for another day though.

I have built a lot of cars in my time and as the years roll by and the fads change, it's hard for me to settle on styles that I really like. At this point in time, a combination of resto-mod and pro touring would be the way I'd like to build the Cuda, you know, just like everybody else is..... LOL! The old plan was a Formula S clone which I already went on the hunt to collect parts for. I might still keep that as part of the plan, not really sure though.

I have done a lot with the Cuda over the years, but it's been a long time now and it's ready for a do-over. I'll keep the drivetrain I acquired, a 340, 727, 8 3/4 combo I got from a beat up '68 Dart, but I think I'd like to do some more modern touches everywhere else. Actually, I'd rather have a 5 speed in the thing, which is what I was Googleing when I found this place.

For now I'm just researching what it would take to do some of the stuff I'd like to do with the Cuda. I'm also looking for inspiration and this site looks like a pretty good source for that.8)

Oh yeah, here's a link to the only pics I have of the Cuda. Unfortunately, she's not this clean anymore, but I have finally put a decent set of shoes on her now, 15" Telstars with BFG G-Forces. I'll try to get something more up to date in the picture dept. one of these days.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/1977422

OH, and, hows the feeling about pics being posted on the site?

Keep 'em small?

As few as possible?

Load 'em up and let the slow guys suffer?:snakeman:

I always like to ask first.8)

Mike

Howdy, Mike. Welcome from central Texas. Glad you found us.
Pics are a must here. I usually size mine to about 6"x4" - similar to a typical snapshot for a photo album. Plenty of room for details.

Keep us posted on your progress,
Jerry

Welcome Mike. Glad to see you're moving away from "the dark side." Mopar is where it's at. LOL Pictures, we want pictures.

Welcome Mike! Sounds like youve had some really nice projects over the years and the 66 fish is a great project! You can NEVER post too many pics here so dont hold back! Enjoy the site and keep us posted on the progress!

I stopped reading after I read: "I'm a Chevy guy at heart..."

Just kidding! We all have our flaws - some more than others, lol. welcome to the site! Can't see the pics of your barracuda here at work, so I'll check 'em out when I get home.

Hello Mike and welcome to FABO. I`ve owned them all too but Mopar is number one for me. 5 speeds are great, I have one in my Barracuda but it`s a second generation big block car. Check out our member daves66valiant. He did a thread on the install of his 5 speed. It`s in an early A-body with a small block and it`s chocked full of pictures and details.

Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome.

I've been spending some time pouring though threads and checking out the members projects. Some beautiful cars here for sure.

I did see the thread on the '66 Valiant conv. that had the T5 swap, well, among other things. Interesting thread, but I don't usually go the kit route with my projects. I see there are many other threads on the T5 though, and a lot that are assembled through finding the parts and making them work. My Cuda is a bit of a hodge podge of modifications that were done by accumulating parts as well.

For me, a lot of what building cars is about is the challenges. When I first got this car I didn't have the same network of contacts and sources for parts and knowledge like I had with my Chevy's. I had to figure out ways to solve problems and make upgrades without the help of the internet or the aftermarket companies making kits these days. I did the old school thing of going to the junk yard to find parts for my front disc brake swap and 4 1/2" lug change over. I couldn't find headers for my 340 that worked with power steering, let alone an A body older than a '67, so I made my own. I kept killing those biscuit engine mounts, so I made my own brackets so I could use later model 'caged' mounts. Now a days there's kits to do all these upgrades and chages, but for the cost of some of them I'l just keep building my own stuff. Besides, I love building stuff.

I'm hoping I'll find some time soon to do some work to the car that I've been putting off for a long while. I have a complete front end rebuild kit that's been sitting in the box for about six years now. I have a 727 trans that absolutely refuses to stop leaking, so I'm wondering if the case might be cracked somewhere. This is where I'm contemplating the T5. I have a really annoying engine vibration that I'm somewhat worried about(I think I might have found the answer to this among the threads here.). I have a leaky rear end I need to go through, and somewhere buried in all my stuff I have a sure grip third member I picked up a long time ago that I'd love to toss in. I have no idea where it is though, going to have to go Indiana Jones on that one.

Those are my short term projects. On the long side, at some point down the road I need to repaint this poor thing and finish the interior. After a long period of time when it lived outside my 15 YO paint job has crashed, and it doesn't help it got keyed a few years back. Likewise, sitting outside has taken it's toll on the interior.

Painting is going to be the hard part as I don't have access to a booth anymore. I'm usually frog tight when it comes to spending money on my cars so I'm not real happy about the prospect of having to pay someone to paint my car. I live in L.A. so I can't very well get away with hosing down the driveway and going to town on her. I'd have the cops and the city Nazi's rolling up on me before I could even finish masking. LOL!

-
Back