Hey you want to sell that car?

-

my5thmopar

Life Long MOPAR Owner
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This has happened 3-4 times now. 72 Dart/318/904/8.75. This time was a little funny. I was cutting through the subdivision across our road to get to the main highway. I see a guy making a beeline to the street. He heard me coming. It is a kid maybe 14-16 and I stop. (Nice area, low risk, packing). Hey what engine is in that car. I say 318, and he gets this look on his face, I say a V8. He asks you want to sell that car. Keep in mind he doesn't have clue what it is. I said, I don't think you would have the money. He proudly states, Oh ya I've got the money. I said, Well how about 10 thousand. He gets this odd, maybe, surprised look on his face. I say you want to think about it? He nods and walks off. I tell my adult daughter the story and her response is ...You know Dad, you're going to have to sell that kid the car after he works all summer and comes knocking at the door. We'll see.

I have had several people ask about my car, I use to tell them it isn't for sale, now I tell them what it would take to buy it. If they come up with the money fine it will be theirs. They always want to trade but so far no one has offered something that I would trade for. A guy did offer me a good trade for a street Rod but it isn't finished and don't know if I could get what I would need out of it. It was a 31 ford, had it been a 33 or 34 might have been interested

If you are comfortable with 10k then hope the kid can work for it.

Had a guy that came to pick up a Caddy I sold his buddy wanted to know what I would take for my mustang, I finally gave him a price but it was high because I didn't want to sell it and was afraid he would buy it too.

Oh yeah, I get the dirt bag just saw some car flipping reality show walking up to my front door or hitting me at the gas station.

It gets annoying when they want to buy my "Nova" for two grand......

$100,000.00 I say it with a no bullshi.... Face. I don't want to sell the car, but that number I would have to.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 267
I had a guy in the parking lot at a car show (that I wasn't entered in) ask what motor I had in it.
When I told him a 318 he huffed off, got in a Dodge Caravan and drove out. :D
I swear, everyone who isn't paying for the motor or the gas thinks we should all have Hemi's for them to look at.
How stupid would it be to have a Hemi in a 73 Swinger anyway?

They all think that they can buy it for a couple hundred dollars... :finga:

If you can't look at it and tell me what it is, then you have no clue of what it's worth... :???:

I just tell them that it's not for sale and try to ignore them after that... #-o

But they always tell you stories about someone they know who used to own one of those... and what they used to do in it.... "it was a 383 Hemi or 440 Hemi and it was fast..." :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

If you can't look at it and tell me what it is, then you have no clue of what it's worth... :???:

I just tell them that it's not for sale and try to ignore them after that... #-o

But they always tell you stories about someone they know who used to own one of those... and what they used to do in it.... "it was a 383 Hemi or 440 Hemi and it was fast..." :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

And very RARE

I had a guy in the parking lot at a car show (that I wasn't entered in) ask what motor I had in it.
When I told him a 318 he huffed off, got in a Dodge Caravan and drove out. :D
I swear, everyone who isn't paying for the motor or the gas thinks we should all have Hemi's for them to look at.
How stupid would it be to have a Hemi in a 73 Swinger anyway?

I'm sorry but a hemi isn't stupid in anything :)

When they ask how much I want, I ask them what they are offering.
They will usually ask me to put a number on it, to which my response is that they asked first and to make an offer, or go away.

I always get people who's say "I wanna drive it".I tell them 20,000 they can drive it anywhere

I had the previous owner of my car come and bug and bug to sell it back .......no go.

I hate to be mean but when you sell a car ....its gone and if you think you might regret it then don't sell.

besides ....its not really his old car anymore ...I have made so many changes, it will never be the same.

I always get people who's say "I wanna drive it".I tell them 20,000 they can drive it anywhere

Girls are the worst for me. When it had a slant in it I would let anyone drive it. Since it got the small block though no one had ever taken it out of my driveway besides my dad and I.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I like that second line of thought. I'm going to start asking them if they know what it is.

Im not sure I could sell my car even if someone offered me 20K for it in the current non running condition.
Dad bought it when I was probably in 3rd grade. (Early '90s)

Just something cool about having the FIRST hotrod that made me aware of cars to begin with.

Back in the early 70's I drove a 1965 Plymouth Satellite, I worked up at a local Standard Oil station in Detroit and right after I graduated from high school I had my car up at the station at work one day when my boss called me in the office and told me there was a kid asking if my car was for sale and that he was outside looking at it. So I walked outside and the kid asked if I would be interested in selling my car, he said that he and his dad would drive past it every now and then and he told his dad he would love to buy it, then he told me that his dad said then go up there and ask him if he would sell it and how much I would take for it. Jokingly I told him I would take $5,000.00 for it which at that time was a lot of money and I never expected to see him again. Latter on that day my boss called me back into the office and told me there were a set of feet sticking out from under my car. So I walked back out where it was parked and asked them what they were doing. The kid told me that he was just showing his friend the car he was going to buy then he told me his dad said he could buy it. I told him yea sure he did and to please get out from under my car, about an hour later his dad showed up and struck the deal with me and bought it for his son for $5,000.00. This car was all raised up with cragers all the way around and big Micky Thompson's in the rear, it was Jade Green with a black interior, it had a big block 383 in it with an automatic trans it was a very nice looking and good running car. Two weeks later I was driving down Hayes Rd. toward 8 mile rd. when I saw my old Satellite wrapped around a telephone pole. To this day I still miss that car.
Bob

-
Back