High heat reflective paint for signal lights ???

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi all, redoing a set of front signal lights for dad's 67 cuda. Inside a few of them arent the best and I would like to repaint. Do I need hi heat paint for this? They will only be on when need be( turning and at night)
I was going to use Duplicolor spray bomb chrome but it doesnt have heat rating.
Am I paranoid?

Attachments

• 20160402_175700.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 222
  • 20160402_175706.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 228
I have always just used regular paint, the duplicolor chrome paint will be fine.

I hope you don't need high heat stuff. Don't know that I ever saw it in chrome. I just did my grille lamp housings with Krylon chrome

mylar foil. Stuff melts at 490.
[ame]http://usa.dupontteijinfilms.com/informationcenter/downloads/Physical_And_Thermal_Properties.pdf[/ame]

I used the chrome in my tail light housings and worked fine. Just cover the sockets or even install the bulbs and tape them off before you paint.

Here is an interesting twist. I used rustoleum chain link spray. It's silver with metal flake. Then I used clear coat to tone it down. With the yellow bulb the effect was awsome. Then both my plastic lenses were beyond repair. So I cut new ones out of lexan. The housing I was able to polish. Just my 2 cents worth.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 130
No slant six Dan?

He's probably typing his reply as I write this.

It was on Dan's advice that I used chrome spray. I believe it was in one of his emails, but here it isfrom one of his B- bodies posts.
"While you're paying attention to your brake lights...remove and clean the lenses in hot soapy water. If the reflectors are at all dull or peeling, stuff wads of masking tape in the bulb holes (or remove the sockets if they're the removable type), clean the reflectors with alcohol, then spray them with readily available "chrome" spray paint, which is practically ideal for the task. "

Here is my grille I did recently. No bulbs in it, looks lit up just from reflected light...

2016-03-27 20_10_16.jpg

If you don't mind spending mo money and you'll install aftermarket 7" round headlight HID housings, buy 2 pair off ebay. Cut 1 pair into small pieces that fit inside the park/turn fixtures. When done they all match.

And yes its a homemade hybrid 67 68 grille assembly

-
Back