Hissing noise in reverse

-

1967formulaS

Reaction score
I've got a hissing noise every time I stick her in reverse. 440/4 speed 18 spline. I don't have any leaks, the box is new and the reverse switch is on tight. It's doing my head in. Any ideas? It's definitely coming from that area.

Clutch in or out, and rolling or not.
Describe exactly under what circumstances.

Clutch as soon as I let the clutch out and start rolling backwards.

A brand new resurfaced clutch will make a hissing type sound for awhile, but it's usually there just as the clutch starts to engage in forward also.
Does it do it in first as you start to roll, and you just don't notice it as much?

Everything in the entire clutch and main shaft of the trans always turns the same direction no matter if you are in forward or reverse except the rear part of the mainshaft, so if there is ONLY a noise in reverse it would pretty much have to be coming from the rear of the trans or farther back.

Wouldn't a wireless stethoscope be nice for this kind of stuff? :D

I wish we could hear that noise without it being altered (as in, in person)

Just in case though you might want to make sure the pinion gear isn't moving around any. (sloppy)

The reverse gears are straight cut, they make a howling noise. that might be your sound.

Is it possible that when the engine torques toward the driver's side in reverse when the clutch is released, that it somehow pulls on a vacuum hose, to open a leak that you can hear.

ie connection at power booster, or vac fitting on manifold.

"hissing" is deceptive, would it be more of a scrape? as in the tin shield at the bellhousing ?

can you post a vid?

Driveshaft and uni joints are new, diff is new and I done a spanner check yesterday and everything feels and looks good. The car only has 400 miles on it since rebuild, so it might be the flywheel. I'll check the speedo as that does bounce around a bit. I'll try and get a video up tonight after work.
Thanks guys.

"QUOTE every time I stick her in reverse" ----- maybe you should have worded this differently

-
Back