Hitting the track, but which car to take?

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
My brother and I are hitting Rock Falls Raceway this Sunday. I want to take my Dart so I can have printed evidence that his Warlock can't take my Dart. I street raced him three times and beat him each time, but he insists he won the third race. I want it on paper with a shitload of witnesses. However, I have been dealing with a transmission leak that I thought was temperature related, but I now know is not. It only happened at high speeds or when I manually shifted and drove hard, and it leaks from the vent tube. The last three times I drove it, it didn't leak. I'm going to beat it up tonight and if it stays dry I'm taking it to the track. If it leaks (and it probably will), I am taking my SRT8 and will see what it can do. I just did the performance tune on it last night, so it should be somewhere near 450 hp. Kind of excited either way. I might be able to beat the Warlock once he runs out of nitrous.

Sounds like you need an external cooler or the calibration of your dipstick is off and it may be over filled....

I have had this transmission for 3 1/2 years and the dipstick is correct. I've filled it before and never had an issue. I have a transmission temperature gauge and it rarely gets more that 185 degrees. This is a new thing that started on some of my last drives of last year and began again after three or four drives this year. It seems to be pressure related as it happens mostly when I manually shift or run extremely high speeds. It appears to be leaking from the vent tube. Also, on Art Carr's advice I removed my fin and tube cooler and installed a stacked plate cooler that works perfectly. Not temp related as I first thought this spring.

Well, I broke the Dart out of the garage for the first time in a couple weeks. I drove it hard, doing burnouts and rolling burnouts, manual shifting and running at high speed. I pulled over after about five miles and no leaks. I came back on the highway and brought it up to 110 for a mile or so, and there was no smoke billowing behind me as usual. I came home on the back roads driving hard and shifting up and down and really pushing her hard. I pulled in the garage and got the flashlight to check the transmission. Drip, drip, drip. It's leaking badly still. Gotta pull the tranny, no ifs ands or buts. Guess I'm taking the SRT8 to the track on Sunday.

-
Back