Holes drilled in the intake?

-

cosgig

MoBro Inc.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Howdy people, I have a pretty straight forward question. I aquired this Edelbrock Performer 318/360 dual plane intake in a parts deal. Upon initial inspection I noticed that there is a hole drilled in the bottom of each plenum, and am wondering….

Why?
What for?
How come?
WTF?
Is it junk?
Is it going to keep someone from wanting it?
Should I just junk it?

there, see, simple right? Any input is welcome as to all of these very complicated questions! Thanks peeps, I really appreciate it!

91A5B804-8F61-4F5A-8FB7-87268C4C3401.jpeg

Those are for "exhaust gas recirculation", there will be provisions just to the one side of the intake that could have an EGR valve installed OR a blank-off plate where the valve would have been. Nothing to be concerned about as long as the gasket under the blank-off plate seals good.

Haven't seen one drilled like that, and the EGR provisions are an unmachined part of the casting-
2f%2fcontent.speedwaymotors.com%2fProductImages%2f3252176_L_6b7629e4-3b66-4666-ac77-7ecffdceeec6.jpg

but that doesn't mean it was never done, and I haven't "seen it all" by far. The EGR pad must have been cast in there for a reason at some point.
But my first guess was a hidden nitrous system. Do the holes go all the way through the bottom of the manifold?
If they really bother you,
Weld them up.
JBWeld them closed.
Tap them and Loctite in some allen screws or short bolts from the bottom.

Edelbrock 3776. Has egr ports.

I would be more concerned with the dirt dabber dirt in the bolt holes.

the intake would be cleaned up before anything else happens to it. Just trying to figure out what we have here. And, there’s another Chrysler 4 bbl intake that came in the deal with a 400****something prefix that I can’t identify either, my book doesn’t go that high, but I assume it’s after 1974. I was buying a 68 340, he was throwing in parts like these to “sweeten” the deal!

What I meant to say was I would be more concerned with their being dirt down in those holes from dirt-dobbers. Those are deadend holes but as you can see by the carb mounting holes those dirty little critters have been making nest and I'm saying they may have gotten down inside the passages even though they're plugged on the other end.

Egr, as said.
You can see the bolt holding the block off plate in the pic. Blow it out and run it.
Or buy the one in the for sale section and put that one up for sale . Someone needing the egr style will buy it for a ca smogger ,ramchargers in such.

It's just an intake with EGR provision. They made a chitload of um.

Thanks for all the replies, folks, you all certainly hit this one out of the park. I really appreciate all the replies. I don’t need it and will probably sell it, along with the other parts that came with the deal, including the 340.

-
Back