Holley 770 Street Avenger Bowl Drainage Overnight!

-

smartken22

U.S. Navy Senior Chief
Reaction score
I need some advice guys! This is a new engine build and she has been dyno tested and tuned so I am not sure how this new issue developed. The carb fuel bowls are bleeding down overnight and dumping all that fuel into the intake and into my oil. Not sure what to do there. Time to make some calls to the engine builder! Its a new carb so I don't know. I know when I shut the motor off, the sight glasses on the carb are half full. When I come out in the morning, the sight glasses are empty. I pulled the dipstick and the oil smells like fuel. Not good! Any ideas? Thanks all. If you need specs on the motor let me know and I will provide the info. The carb is a Holley 770 Ultra Street Avenger. Thanks in advance.

How about more info on the fuel system itself.

It almost sounds like you got some crappola in the carb.

Something is forcing the fuel out, like the needle and seat is open,I chased the same problim,thought the fuel pump at first,no bought a new tank only to find that the sock had fallen off the pick up in tank.After draining the tank there was specs of what look like pepper,it turned to be the rubber from the gas cap.so i suspect crap in the fuel holding the needle and seat open.Hope you get it sorted out.

I think you'll find the fuel is percolating away. If so its a common heat related issue.
Easy test start it up or whatever to get the bowl level right and turn it off. Come back in the morn and check the level.

I think you'll find the fuel is percolating away. If so its a common heat related issue.
Easy test start it up or whatever to get the bowl level right and turn it off. Come back in the morn and check the level.

Reread RedFish he has already:D done that.

The carb has a 2" phenolic spacer under it so its not boiling. All fuel lines are wrapped that are close to any heat sources. Last night I just turned on the fuel pump to get fuel to the correct level and then shut it off without starting the car. Came out this morning and bowls are empty. I talked with the builder this morning and he said for me to looks at the accelerator pump adjustment and then if that is good pull the bowls and check the power valves. I will keep you all posted and thank you all for the help.

OK, I pulled the carb today and once I removed it, the inside of the intake was soaked. So I tore the carb down and did not see anything obvious. I am taking the power valve in tomorrow to the builder for a bench test to see if its bad. I think the issue is the accelerator pump is not adjusted correctly as the lever is touching and should have a little gap which could be bypassing the fuel. I will talk it over with Dave from Lawrence Machine tomorrow and see if he agrees. Let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_1367.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1369.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_1371.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_1373.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1375.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1376.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1377.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1356.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1360.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 234
Well, I went to the engine builder today with the power valve and it checked fine. I got back home and put everything back together, filled it with fuel and put it back on the bench. Fuel is still leaking from the baseplate. I took the whole carb in to my builder and he says everything is adjusted good...floats, acc pump, etc and he has never seen anything like this from a Holley. He thinks that a metering block may have got drilled too deep or there is a crack internally causing it to leak out. I called Summit racing today and they are going to replace the carb for me since it is still brand new. I will box this one up and get it shipped out tomorrow. Then it is a waiting game for a new one to show up. Thank you all for the advice.

-
Back