holley blue pump location

-

74slnt6

Reaction score
i was talking to a rep at summit and i was told that a holley blue pump cant be used to "pull" fuel from fuel cell with the fuel outlet on the top of the tank. he said that the fuel needs to be already gravitationaly be flowing to the pump and if not it will it ruin itself. as if it will burn up if it has to pull the fuel up and out of a cell ? i wouldnt see why it would harm the pump. i have a 22 gal. jaz pro street cell to use and i wanted to use an elec. pump with it. think id be okay to have it "pulling" or am i bound to burn the pump up?

The hole on the top of the fuel cell is a vent. No pick up for fuel. Just a hole . Mount your pump close to the back of the cell and for best results mount it no higher than the fittings on the back. Good luck.

If it's a flat bottom cell, some tanks do have the fuel outlet on top.

It's not the bet to have it pull. Mount the pump below the bottom of tank and that will help. Holley suggests a maximum level to pull.

Fuel pump mounted on frame rail with fuel cell with sump...excuse the wiring...it was not done..

Attachments

• IMG_0782.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 250
the blue pump is not ment to pull fuel. it will for a short time but the fuel is the lube. it should be mounted as close to the tank as possible and below the fuel if possible

The inlet on the pump should always be below the fuel level. So it doesn't allow the fuel to back flow to the tank when not in use. This always keeps fuel in the pump so it doesn't dry start. This will cause excessive wear when running dry. You want to keep fuel in the pump at all times. When a used pump is re installed you should put a light oil in it before reusing it if let dry up. Also it should always pump up hill. Another words keep a valley in the line so there is always fuel in the pump.

You need to listen to the guys above on this one...no one is saying you're going to burn the pump up because you are "pulling" fuel uphill. The fact of the matter is that this pump model is NOT able to function as a puller. Again, it will physically NOT pull fuel out of the tank as you're trying to mount it. The only way you can "rig" it to work is with a check valve to keep fuel in the lines at all times, and you will still have to siphon the gas to the pump the first time, and hope the fuel stays in the lines with a check valve. The holley style pumps simply need the fuel to gravity feed to them...and then they pressurize it and send it up front.
the only thing that will burn up this style pump is dead heading the fuel system without a return line. you'll get a summer or two out of a deadhead system, then be putting another pump on it. I've tried all the above blunders before and trust me...do it right the first time..or you'll be doing it 3 more times.

-
Back