Holly 1v

-

carfan

Reaction score
Well this could a little drug out But 3 weeks ago I finely got around to rebuilding the carb on the 69 WSS that I have put off for the last four years. Things went normal till I installed it and the bowl leaked like a sieve, tightened the screws still leaked, finally used enough mr gasket to get it to stop.and the car ran fine. went on vacation for 2 week and came back and had to crank the heck to get the bowl full and then went to the P.O. came out and it would not stay running for anything finely got it home (down hill) and worked on it to see what was wrong This is for info just in case it happens to you, Pulled the carb off after tryin every thing ells and there was two problems 1) excess mr gasket was in the bowl and 2) the real culprit was the gasket with the pump diaphragm was laminated together with rubber cement and when compressed the rubber cement oozed out and plugged all the opening in the parts, so be ware of no name carb kit as this may happen.
So after I get it cleaned out and reassembled I didn't want to use sealant again so I checked the bowl for being flat and after an hour of taping and checking for level and twist I put it on the car, It still leaked, now I have put two gaskets and it still leaks and now out of frustration I have tightened the hell out of it and it still leaks a little there are no cracks or holes What the heck do I have to do to get this thing not to leak???
Thanks for any input

Just went thru the same thing on my 65 - 225. NAPA or Autozone felpro #3060 gasket paper kit. It has several types of gasket paper and two thickness of cork gasket material. Made a new gasket using the thick cork and a LIGHT coat of permatex #2 , let dry overnight . 4 weeks and no leaks.

With just a little work, a 1945 fits right on and puts an end to all the crap a 1920 has to offer. Put a 1945 on my '73 Valiant almost 2 years ago and it's ran fine ever since and hasn't leaked a drop of fuel.

Thanks all for your input I don't know why I didn't think of just making my own gasket but you expect thing to work! Made one out of said gasket materiel that I had on hand put it on with no sealer need and no leaks!!
Thanks

-
Back