Holy Crap!

-
If the lathe is semi modern it'll probably have a stop pedal or at the very least the Estop should be easily accessible.. Both my lathes have Estops & the big lathe has a brake pedal.... When I first got it the switch was bad & it had been bypassed... First thing I did was order a switch....

This reminds me of an incident at Holloman AFB, where a helicopter mechanic got literally scalped because of his long hair. His hair got caught in the helicopters propeller shaft assembly while they were doing an engine run test.
- Keep in mind those turbine motors are no joke. I've seen those put out anywhere between 1500+ hp and nearly 3000 ft-lbs of torque.
- And yes an M1A2 Abrams is basically powered by a very similar version of this motor as well, propelling the 70+ ton tank to over 40 mph (governed)!
- Luckily the mechanic lived, I'm sure with much less hair.
Holloman hair incident.jpg

Since the text is hard to read, here:
"The "hairball" you see is hair - human hair. This happened March 27th at Holloman to an Army Civil Service Aircraft Maintenance Technician. He was literally "scalped" when his long hair caught on the rotating shaft. You all know my concern and position on this issue. I leave the choice up to you. Those who do have long hair should personally evaluate hair control requirements, the work situation, and their own personal safety concerns. Again - the choice is yours! It would be a tragedy to have it happen here. - Sully"

Being in the EMS field for many years, running fire rescue and working for a local ambulance service, the ones I hated were guys that got too close to a PTO shaft with it running and wearing loose clothing, it shows no mercy on the body. We used to run on these calls if in our area. When I was with he ambulance service we had the body removal contract for the county, We ran too many of these type of calls. A good friend of mine's Dad lost his life that way, he always wore flannel shirts with the tails un-tucked, he went to do something around the conveyor, something he had been doing all his life. (running corn) and got sucked in. My friend came back to the farm to find pieces of his Dad.

Watching it once was enough for me. I'm not a fan of videos of people dying.
Neither am I, but I'll tell you something. I think videos like that should be prerequisite for anyone taking any kind of shop class in school. Just like I think beheading videos from the middle east should be prerequisite for all high school grads. But that's just me.

I worked daily for about 40 years with table saws, a giant industrial band saw (eight foot long blade) lathes, and Bridgeport mills
I learned my lesson cheaply enough. Working a turret drill press, a drill cutting pealed off what I was drilling, snagged my long sleeve shirt, and dragged me into the spindle. Fortunately, I could reach the power button.
Pure luck, no injury, but it made an impression. I threw away the long sleeve/short sleeve combo shirt.
But chain saws still scare the **** out of me. TWO separate girlfriends have had Dads who stuck themselves in the chest with one. (Both survived, both wore scars)

Neither am I, but I'll tell you something. I think videos like that should be prerequisite for anyone taking any kind of shop class in school. Just like I think beheading videos from the middle east should be prerequisite for all high school grads. But that's just me.
I agree with you there. It’s impossible to truly comprehend how fast things can go wrong and how powerful these machines are without seeing or experiencing it.

I worked daily for about 40 years with table saws, a giant industrial band saw (eight foot long blade) lathes, and Bridgeport mills
I learned my lesson cheaply enough. Working a turret drill press, a drill cutting pealed off what I was drilling, snagged my long sleeve shirt, and dragged me into the spindle. Fortunately, I could reach the power button.
Pure luck, no injury, but it made an impression. I threw away the long sleeve/short sleeve combo shirt.
But chain saws still scare the **** out of me. TWO separate girlfriends have had Dads who stuck themselves in the chest with one. (Both survived, both wore scars)
It makes you realize two things. How strong the piece of equipment is you're working with and how strong clothing can be.

i worked maintenance for a tree company and besides the gawd awful state of every piece of equipment the shocking lack of safety protocols was stunning.

with the exception of one climber. he took care of his saws with a level of reverent attention. and he also had a giant scar on his left arm with a tattoo that required no explanation: saw don't care

i worked maintenance for a tree company and besides the gawd awful state of every piece of equipment the shocking lack of safety protocols was stunning.

with the exception of one climber. he took care of his saws with a level of reverent attention. and he also had a giant scar on his left arm with a tattoo that required no explanation: saw don't care
I've used every kind of saw imaginable, skil saws jig saws scroll saws table saws, you name it. Two scared me. Chain saws, and we had a GIANT abrasive chop saw, used for cutting steel. It had a three FOOT abrasive blade. When that blade came apart (at least twice I can remember) it sounded like a plane crash, and except for the guard, would have killed the operator.

Last edited:
Every single time I use a chainsaw of any kind, I am paranoid careful. Even if it's just my electric pole saw. They can flat booger you up.

-
Back