Hood clearance

-

JKrebs

68 GTS
Reaction score
Anyone running RPM performer with street avenger carb and stock air cleaner?

I've got a 68 gts 340. I'm putting together a 69 340 and it's time to purchase the intake. I have a Holly 670 avenger and I want to use the stock air cleaner. I'm thinking the RPM performer would suit my build best but I'm concerned about clearance. I can get out the straight edge and start checking but thought I would ask around first.

I am using a RPM manifold and had a Holly on it. As for hood clearance I used a 14" dropped 3"air filter and it cleared, I do not know about a stock cleaner. To my knowledge you have around 2 1/2" from top of carb flange to hood.

My engine is a 408, Just be careful and measure the clearance after you get the engine in the car and hooked up. My problem was clearance with the air cleaner on the Holley carb.
let us know when you get to that point

My engine is a 408, Just be careful and measure the clearance after you get the engine in the car and hooked up. My problem was clearance with the air cleaner on the Holley carb.
let us know when you get to that point

That was my problem as well but I had a slant six car with Schumacher mounts. If I used my edelbrock carbuerator it fit fine.

If you have a cleaner that you know fits, you could install it. Then using modeling clay place enough on top then close the hood gently to allow it to compress. You will then be able to measure the height of the clay to accurately check the available clearance.
Yote

The one point to watch is the stud on the carb. You can not have it too long. It should only be high enough to get a nut on and hold the cleaner tight, no wing nuts, I learned this the hard way.

-
Back