hose elimination

-

OchamsRasor

Reaction score
New here, I have a new 360 LA my question is can I eliminate the short water hose on the bottom of the thermostat housing that goes to the waterpump. Tired of the leaks and it is impossible to get to I have an aftermarket A/C compressor that rides high as does the alt.

Gary

You can but if the thermostat fails in the closed position you won't be able to limp home without overheating.

There are millions of small block mopars on the road with that bypass working fine. Why would you want to eliminate it? Just take the time to replace it once with a GOOD hose and forget about it for ten years.

replace it and be done. not sure why it would have leaks other then a old bad hose.

What I've seen is aftermarket / swap intakes, and "somehow" a double - threaded pipe nipple got in there instead of a legit hose nipple.

I would NOT eliminate it. Ma put it there for a reason.

It's a bypass that allows coolant to flow around inside the block when the thermostat is closed. If you eliminate it your engine won't warm up as quickly, plus it creates the possibility for hot spots.

All engines have some sort of bypass for this purpose. Some just happen to be inside the engine rather than outside.

What I've seen is aftermarket / swap intakes, and "somehow" a double - threaded pipe nipple got in there instead of a legit hose nipple.

i've run them that way in the past and never had any leaks.

It's a bypass that allows coolant to flow around inside the block when the thermostat is closed. If you eliminate it your engine won't warm up as quickly, plus it creates the possibility for hot spots.

All engines have some sort of bypass for this purpose. Some just happen to be inside the engine rather than outside.

won't it also dead head the water pump? can't be much flow running through the stat when closed.

A QUALITY hose and clamps and it should not leak.....

I like it....it says MOPAR !

Was looking at eliminating mine as I have Magnum intake with LA Timing cover and water pump. Try to find a hose that fits THAT however I am going to make it work with a longer threaded fitting and an elbow hopefully. Will muck around with it to make it work.

The silicon bypass hose on my 360 is 15 years od and still going strong,
The factory interior heater is also a bypass. So if you still have it, you can use it. Or you can plump a bypass hose there.It's just not pretty.

First off - Welcome to FABO...

Chances are that your hose may soon fail if it is leaking.

I would recommend replacing it with a good quality one. There is a post in the mechanical for sale forum with a member that is selling silicone ones.

Or get a good Gates or Goodyear hose. If you get gates, see if they carry the ECR hose. It's a different formula that helps resist breakdown from electro-chemical reactions in the coolant and doesn't cost much more than the regular hose. I've seen test data of those hoses going over 250,000 miles.

Be aware that there are two different size bypass hoses. One size for the 69 and earlier small blocks with the cast iron water pump, and another one for the 70 and later small blocks with the aluminum water pump. Measure yours to make sure that you get the proper diameter one.

I've also seen where someone mixes and matches an intake from one generation engine to the other and there used to be a special hose with one size on one end and the other on the opposite. You may want to measure both nipples for the hose to be sure that they are the same and not mixed and matched and some tried to force the wrong hose on it...

Silicone is a little more expensive but longer lasting than standard rubber hoses.

Here's the link to the silicone hose thread:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=258754&highlight=silicone+bypass+hose

Also if it's leaking, pay attention to the hose to barb on the nipple and the clamp location. Always place the clamps just behind the lip/flare of the nipple for best sealing and resistance for blow off. See my thread on hose clamps in the link below:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=298905

I've always wondered why there is so MUCH coolant being bypassed on a SB? (Ma must had a good (engineering) reason). I block it in a circle track racing app with no stat. On the street I've THOUGHT about restricting it some but I've always been able to stay cool if every part is spot on (shroud/fan spacing distance etc). for you I'd suggest a new hose/gasket cement. Keep It Simple Sam

-
Back