Hose life....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Seen this on a Duramax forum, would like a "second opinion". Went something to the effect of because todays coolant doesn't contain silicates (?) As long as the coolant is changed at recommended intervals hose life is indefinite. Any truth to it? Replaced all the hoses on my Duramax 8 years ago, upper radiator hose was getting stiff so I am replacing them all...

All rubber is cured (via the vulcanizing process invented by Charles Goodyear) and that curing process tends to continue through its life a very slow rate; heat accelerates the curing rate. At it cures more and more, it get harder and harder. So heat will harden any rubber. That's why ties go 'bad' after many years.... or go bad on a race tack very fast if you push them too hard and get them too hot: the rubber hardens up. It's gonna happen with a rad hose too if you actually use the engine and it gets heat to the rubber.

I can't tell you about silicone hoses.....

all I know is my Ram 3500 Cummins was bought new on '95 and it has 200,000 mi and is what now 21 years old with original hoses. I did change the belt last year to be safe! ha!

Duramax? who knows! (sorry bout that, dry humor!)

I dunno, GM claims there "dex cool" coolant is 100K mile also, but I have had HUNDREDS of chevy/gmc trucks in my shop for leaking intake/waterpump gaskets that looked to be caused by that coolant, so id be suprised if hoses lasted any better, I replace them while we are in there

I thought this was going to be a story about a gal on the boulevard..... :lol:

Well I had a 1971 Saab 99 and the hoses lasted forever. And my '07 5.9L CTD has the original hoses at 185k miles. So there is some variation in quality but they ALL age.

Mine are going to be changed out soon; too many long trips towing to work sites to let it go. Serpentine belt was changed at 100k miles and it was mildly cracked; not bad, but on it's way.

Seen this on a Duramax forum, would like a "second opinion". Went something to the effect of because todays coolant doesn't contain silicates (?) As long as the coolant is changed at recommended intervals hose life is indefinite. Any truth to it? Replaced all the hoses on my Duramax 8 years ago, upper radiator hose was getting stiff so I am replacing them all...
Like most things folks want easy, simple answers. Unfortunately, there are no hard and fast rules. Aftermarket hose makers may tell you hoses should be replaced after five years. I suppose they know best how crappy their hoses are. I have found most OEM hoses can last quite a long time. Life time depends on type of coolant, cooling system maintenance and environmental conditions, such as ozone levels, etc. The answer is periodically check and replace as necessary.

Best course of action is to monitor your vehicle condition and keep your AAA membership current!

If you are towing equipment 300-600 miles to a job site.... replace parts ahead of time. Saves lotsa money over being stuck, having to secure a trailer loaded with $10-20k-30k or more of customer equipment, and losing work time.

Over the years I found the worst spot of all was outer wall of bends especially just above thermostat. Poked my thumb right through a few of them.
The way I see it, If flowing water can wear a dang rock to round and smooth, of course it can wear a hose wall. If you want to believe what is in the water can make a difference....

I bought the truck when it had 95k on it. Bought a warranty. Had it about a month and the heater core went. Took it to the dealer for the repair. Just so happens,that dealer sold and maintained it for the original owner. Service manager told me that the truck had never had the coolant changed. I asked about the 5 year-150k mile claim....he told me that the 5 year is fine but to not let it go more than 50k on the coolant. He said, if I remember right, that the Dexcool turns acidic as it ages, which is why the core sprung a leak. He asked if I added any conventional coolant as my cooling system was smudged up. The truck was serviced by the car lot I got it from so who knows. Service rep told me that they replaced the radiator, it looked like it was starting to form numerous pin holes.
Was thinking about dumping the Dexcool in favor of a "diesel specific" coolant my buddy at NAPA sells. Have heard horror stories of folks not getting all the Dexcool out and a mud forming in the cooling system so I decided against it. My lower hose, all $70 of it, has had a drip on one of the 2 "T" connections on it for 5 years or so. Have been seeing puddles, at random, under the truck since returning home in Febuary. Digital temperature gauge has been floating quite a bit. Normally, when the truck is empty it will warm up and sit at 185-187*, unless it is cold. It has been running at 194*. When I was hauling the small excavator home to fix our pump house it hit 215*. It has never been that high. Even towing 12k pounds, in 115*, at 95 mph climbing one of the inclines on 93 in AZ the hottest it has ever gotten was 203*.
Hoping that the culprit was the lower hose. Leak was very sporadic. Put the pressure tester on it, pumped it up to 15 psi...week later was still at 15 psi. Next time I stated it within 30 seconds there was a drip. Shut it off, put the pressure tester back on it...nada. Next 4 times I drove it not one drop.

I have had heater hoses on farm tractors get so brittle that you could snap off several pieces about 3" long with your hands until you got far enough away from where they were continually heated by the engine.
Yote

I knew that coolants tend to get acidic when the additives wear out. The big truck maintenance shops use test strips in the coolant to check to see when it is becoming acidic. When it does, the coolant gets changed. I did not know the Dexcool was particularly bad about that; sounds like I have some reading to do there.

I have started using G05 in just about everything. That has been adopted by Mopar for years. The only drawback is that when you mix it 50/50, it has very little color to it.

The brittle tractoro hose story is a good one, Yote.

I have a 1972 Dodge Dart with all original hoses still. 64k miles. Just changed the factory water pump after 44 years of faithful service. So yes you can a lot of years out of a hose.

-
Back