How Are We Addressing Rusty Inner Bumpers?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
For now I am going to slap on the original bumpers belonging to the '65 Formula S (don't have the means to restore 'em right now). I can shine up the chrome and little beforehand, but what to do about the "hidden" rust on the inside? Thank you.

rusty bumper.JPG

For now I am going to slap on the original bumpers belonging to the '65 Formula S (don't have the means to restore 'em right now). I can shine up the chrome and little beforehand, but what to do about the "hidden" rust on the inside? Thank you.

View attachment 1715729872

Get a large container of Evaporust. Soak rags or small towels and line the inside of the bumper with them. Press them in firm so they find the contour.

Leave them over night. Remove rags and clean it out. Depending on the amount of rust, you may wanna do 2 or 3 applications.

I've always been amazed at how well Evaporust works. It's not a rust cure, but it will help you remove a bunch.

Send em out to get redone...and remember rust is like a rash it will crawl from one part to another...:)

View attachment 1715729872
Knock off the big chunks, scuff up the surface rust with some sand paper or Scotchbrite and shoot it with some rust converting primer then paint if you wish.

Get a large container of Evaporust. Soak rags or small towels and line the inside of the bumper with them. Press them in firm so they find the contour.

Leave them over night. Remove rags and clean it out. Depending on the amount of rust, you may wanna do 2 or 3 applications.

I've always been amazed at how well Evaporust works. It's not a rust cure, but it will help you remove a bunch.
I only use Evaporust for parts I can submerge. I haven’t had much luck with the wet compresses even though I cover with foil and regularly soak.

I wire brushed with an angle grinder getting them as clean as possible then silver coated por15. Front sides looked like brand new and the backs came out great.

This is one of my favorite ways to redo all the backsides of rusty chrome bumpers.

Take and duct tape around the chrome outside edges and cardboard off the rest of the bumper. Then sandblast the back side to remove any surface rust, this gives a good surface for the Gray Primer Surfacer coats to stick to.

Then paint with your favorite Chrysler Silver automotive paint. All sealed up looking nice, show worthy.

Same Silver as this gas tank:
0801172136.jpg

This is one of my favorite ways to redo all the backsides of rusty chrome bumpers.

Take and duct tape around the chrome outside edges and cardboard off the rest of the bumper. Then sandblast the back side to remove any surface rust, this gives a good surface for the Gray Primer Surfacer coats to stick to.

Then paint with your favorite Chrysler Silver automotive paint. All sealed up looking nice, show worthy.

Same Silver as this gas tank:
View attachment 1715730141
That tank looks great.

-
Back