How bad do these 3 big mistakes hurt the value of this 340 car?

-

YY1

Reaction score
This car has been for sale locally, and been listed at least three times on ebay since I first saw it.
I looked at it somewhat closely in person about 6 months ago.
It is a real 340 car and the resto work looks to be top notch.
Most of the parts used even seem to have the correct plating and finish, like the cad plated brake booster and attaching hardware.

Here's the rub-it's a factory FY1 top banana car, but they painted it "Viper yellow", painted the bumpers and light bezels black, and put a 70-72 stripe on it.

This car is so clean you could eat off it.

My question is this- why the hell would someone spend the time and money to do 95% of the job to minute correct detail, but then "ruin" it with those three decisions.

I know there are probably more things wrong, and my intent is not to pick the car apart, but the asking price was $17K, and it's been bid up to 14K and not met reserve.

I think if it was the correct color, they might have a shot at 15-17K.

As it sits, to me, it's not even worth 10k, because the first thing I'd have to do is dissaemble and repaint.

What say you all?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd...49&item=180838358114&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It looks well done for the price, Detail the grill, new bumpers and tail light chrome call it a day. If you want a correctly restored 340 car you would be redoing the entire car. Stripes, hood scoop are not correct. wheels tires, hood pins, everything under the hood. Its a nice driver.

It may be worth 10K to someone but to a guy that wants a correct 340 car like you or I, Your correct it needs to be totally redone in the paint and detail department.

My question is this- why the hell would someone spend the time and money to do 95% of the job to minute correct detail, but then "ruin" it with those three decisions.

maybe he built it like he wanted and didn't intend on ever selling it. now something comes up and he needs money and it has to go. who knows. the bumpers grill and tail lights are an easy fix though. paint. no so easy. it was bid to 14k already? should have taken it..lol

Here's another strike against it for those looking for originality.

This great car was originally a 340 car and was restored with a completely rebuilt, 1974 360 cubic inch V-8 engine.

"Restored"???? Exactly what part of this car is restored?? The blacked out trim?? How bout the Rhino lining undercarraige?? Didn't know they used that is 73!! Headers?? Didn't know they put those on either!! Can't even come up with an inspection cover for the trans!!

I think the word restored should be struck from the musclecar world, especially when it comes to the sale of cars such as this. So many things to change on this car to make it worth 1/2 of what he is expecting!!

Oh well, at least it has "posi-traction"!!!LOL!! Geof

As I said, I don't want the thread to tun into picking the car apart.

For the record, this guy sells LOTS of classic cars, some of which are decent.
Most seem to be done with the intent ot sell (or resell).

My point of discussion is, if this car had been painted the factory top banana color, would it be an easier sell, or fetch a higher price, regardless of the other issues.

I understand the bumpers and bezels are bolt ons, and the stripe really doesn't offend me (although I do prefer the 73 stripe on 73 cars), but I just can't get over the paint.

I would actually have more respect if it had been repainted black or purple etc, rather than a color that's close, but not right.

I can clearly see some rust under the car. This makes me think that there is rust hiding under the Rhino-Lining. As Stated above Restored??? Also the painted bumpers are a giveaway that there was a "Budget" that reached it's limit. JMO & NAE(not an expert). Very Nice Car though. I passed on a few other Darts when I got mine because of the Undercoating. Mine was just factory so I could see the real deal. Good Luck and always listen to your gut.

Looks to me like he didnt use cad plating on the booster as was said he painted everything. Just look at what he did to the woodgrain on the dash. It is reasons like that I would think the buyer has in his mind alot needs to be spent on this car just to make it look right if not even correct.

His ad also says
"Value in collector cars is all about the right color combination and original condition. I deal in low mileage, original cars and this is truly a fine example of Plymouth's best !!! As a full time business, I buy original, low mile classics to keep, refresh, or restore and sell."

It is a good looking ride though.

regardless if the color is close ,it still is not "right" . if you are looking to buy an original color car, this is not the one. i am guessing he got a deal on the paint. there are so many other things "wrong" with the car to be classified as an original "restored" car. i think the builder took the easy way out here and tried to make it appealing with all the black out garbage instead of getting these things rechromed or refinished. this car was built to make money with as little as possible and regardless of how clean it is, it was clearly slapped together IMO .it may have hurt the "value" but there is always someone out there that will pay.

At first observation,it looks pretty nice. I would change the bumpers,grille,and tail lights out. The bad for me! Among other things, would be the year. Just not as sought after as a 70-72.
Besides that I would have to change out the Posi-Traction.

Take it for what it is.
This car is a nice driver that happens to be a 340 car originally.
If you are looking to have an original correctly restored car, move along.
There is too much on this car that is not correct that it would cost a fortune to reverse and make it correct.
This car is ''restified'' not ''restored'', there is a big difference.
I agree that it's worth 10 grand, not 14 grand or more.
I would call this car a nice fun driver.

"Who knows how a posi-traction on a plymouth works?Nobody"
Yes I watched Joe Dirt yesterday.
Looks like the chrome delete was on purpose,maybe for the ownwers likeings or maybe to appeal to the new age driver that doesn't remember all the chrome on the old cars.
It's not factory restored but it is in "nice" shape.IMO the bumpers should have been painted body color if not chrome but the black looks to try to tie in with the stripe.
The biggest killer for me is the 360 engineother than that is seems like a 10,000 car to me,if he had it at 14,000 he should have sold it as long as he wasn't the one that had it jacked up that high.
To the OP I dont think the bumpers and lights kill the deal they are there so they can be chromed.As for the paint I've heard a million times on here "do it they way you want it done it's your car you,can always repaint it later".That car can be driven a long time before it would have to have any thing reworked.Say you find a rust free car for 3,000 and put another 7,000 in it would it be at the point this car is for 10,000.

"...Say you find a rust free car for 3,000 and put another 7,000 in it would it be at the point this car is for 10,000.
That's where I'm headed pretty quickly. And my car isn't a 340 (original or otherwise). But as Adam said, without full documentation (and a bit of faith), you don't know what's under there.

A lot of you are throwing around "for the price" and the "10G" figure. That's the STARTING BID and you'll note "reserve not met."

I'm with others. This may or may NOT be worth whatever it bids up to, but if you are the guy who wants originality, it would cost a fortune to fix.

I agree that it's "restified". It is done so tastefully, but doesn't help the value of the car. What would help is having the #'s matching drivetrain. You can repaint a car as many times as you want to (expensive), but once that #'s matching motor is gone...it's gone for good.

I agree that it's "restified". It is done so tastefully, but doesn't help the value of the car. What would help is having the #'s matching drivetrain. You can repaint a car as many times as you want to (expensive), but once that #'s matching motor is gone...it's gone for good.
Fully Agree with this. The more original, the more valuable. The farther away the less valuable. But....If you are looking for a fast, fun, cool, Head turner then you can get a sweet duster for $5,000-$10,000 all day long. In this case, I believe the general consensus is that this car is not authentic enough to be worth near the asking price.

To me, the color isn't too bad.....wrong year stripe, not a deal-breaker.....grille and headlight bezels look kinda cool.....but those bumpers gotta GO! I'm not a '73 and up kinda guy, so I'd never own it for any price, but maybe if it was a restored Hang 10 Dart I would.

I think the car looks sharp, the black bumpers are a nice touch. The color looks good on it too. The price is what it is. This is a resto-mod driver not a oem gold restoration. Besides at least they didn't paint the engine bay black.

People pay big bucks for restomod Novas, and they usually look like crap. This Duster was done to a plan and looks well executed and thought out for the price.

I wouldn't worry about the the "original" stuff. Since the 340 is gone, and it's been "restofied", why bemoan what could be a good street car. Different strokes for different folks in that regard. Looks like it would be a fun driver, now, though.

He is known around here as Trash By Lash almost all of his cars are sold overseas. i caught him on a car that didnt match the decoding of the vin he said if i could prove it he would give me the car called his bluff and called to see car and it has been sold sorry. check out his other cars. he is getting better at undercarriage painting usually black texture paint and silver painted exhaust and blue shocks

It does look well done. I think they were trying to save some money and time by trying to tie the bumpers, grill, mirrors and tail light trim all together with with black stripe and interior. They should have taken the 14K and run. You sure couldn't build it for 10K....

"Restored"????

I think the word restored should be struck from the musclecar world, especially when it comes to the sale of cars such as this. So many things to change on this car to make it worth 1/2 of what he is expecting!!

Oh well, at least it has "posi-traction"!!!LOL!! Geof

I agree about the word "restore". Sadly, there isn't another single word that describes the process of teardown and rebuilding a car.
I've committed similar crimes on cars.... The painted bumper tactic is done to save money on Chrome work. THIS car would look much better with the factory chromed bumpers and trim, as well as a grille with the factory finish. This is only an opinion. There will be many others that think that this car is just fine as it is, and thats fine.

-
Back