How did you attach your 3 point retractable seatbelts?

-

Kipprc

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I ordered a set of 3 point retractable seatbelts from Seatbelt planet and it is clear that I either need some additional hardware or fabrication. If you have a set installed can you post a pic of what you did to make them work?

Seatbelt plant sell this item Retractor Mounting Plate & Hardware | SeatbeltPlanet ,but I am not sure that is what I need or if it is even safe for a collision. The pictures are of the actual style seat belts I ordered and how much space I have in between my seats with the original mounting point. Thanks in advance for guidance you can provide.

20240511_125838.jpg

20240511_125807.jpg

Did you ever get your seatbelts to work satisfactorily? Did you end up having to do modifications to be able to use them? If so what were they? I have a 71 Dart ( bucket seats ) that I want to put a 3 point harness in and I am now in the process of deciding which kit and whom to buy from. The prices for the kits are all over the map ( $200 to almost $500 ). I would also like to hear from anybody for advice on which kits seem to fit and which need modifications to install, I really would like to buy something that bolts right in without reengineering. I feel shoulder harnesses are the single best safety upgrade you can do to these old cars to make them reasonably safe. Anybody that is running only lap belts needs to watch the You Tube video of the 1200HP Mercury hitting a car in the rear at a stop light to see how well a lap belt works by itself.

I did not. I ended up returning them. The seatbelts required a hardware kit that does not come with the seatbelts. The expectation is for you to drill and install the hardware behind the drivers seat. I have the Wesco lap/shoulder belt setup in there. It's not retractable, but it does work. It's just more cumbersome to work with.

Thanks for the info. You would have thought that the seller would have let you know about any additional hardware needed and given instructions on what would be needed to do the installation. I see kits that have the retractors so I will continue on trying to find something that works.

I got my belts from Wesco Performance. Pictures show the bracket that my son made to anchor the shoulder belt. Hope this helps.

SDC13303.JPG

SDC13304.JPG

SDC13302.JPG

Thanks for the info. I will look into their belts, we also have a Summit Racing in my area and I may go check with them. Have you seen the video of the crash I mentioned earlier in the post? Amazing the inertia involved in a collision. Even in retrospect the guy doing the feature said he wished he would have put on the shoulder belt.

I went with Wesco. I had to use two anchor points on the bottom.
I have a write up on my blog:

I went with Wesco. I had to use two anchor points on the bottom.
I have a write up on my blog:
Thanks for the info. The mounting position for the shoulder belt anchor was particularly useful.

-
Back