How do I determine the value of a car?

-

Brian

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

When buying and/or selling, what is the best method to use to determine the fair value of a car?

Thanks to everyone that replied. I'm looking to sell my 72 Charger; looking to buy a 67-69 Dart.

Attachments

• drivers side 1A.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 105
  • engine 1A.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 105
  • front 1A.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 103
  • inside 1A.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 114
I search Searchtempest, Craigslist, and Ebay to use those as comps. I don't trust the last one as much since it doesn't usually give a good representation. You also have to keep in mind, those are asking prices, not always getting prices. Sometimes things sell too cheap on Ebay due to wrong time of day for the auction to close or some times too much when people run up their own bids; unfortunately it does happen.

CL is full of idiots. feebay has way too games going on...... best way is to talk to guys in local mopar club and find out what has sold, what is for sale no one has jumped on..... prices will vary a lot from different parts of the country....

anything over price of scrap, is SALESMANSHIP!!!?????????

Depending on the car and its rarity it can be a crap shoot . What are you willing to pay do you know it will go up in value or just stay flat. Even if you pay what some would think is to much if its a car you know for sure is going up in value then who cares. I bought an AAR Cuda a couple of years ago its not numbers matching but it has a nice street driving paint job it looks great but its not perfect and it did have some hidden flaws that I didn't see but I can fix. And the value has gone up more than 10k since I bought it. I have another car it dosent really have any value and I probably paid to much but I wanted it. Its just a matter of watching what people are paying and how rare the car is if you let something you like go how long will it take to find another one. Mopars are going up in value fast now just because there aren't that many of them the junk is over priced but its hard to find a deal now. I always watch local cars for sale but now I'm looking at off brand cars like AMC just because they are rair and going up in value. I never in my life thought I would own a Valiant but I do now. What can I say most people don't even know what it is.

Basically, if you're selling, it's worth what someone will pay. You'll know if it sells right away with little haggling, or it doesn't sell. IMO, it's hard to start low and get higher...
If you'r ebuying, it's what it's worth to you. Simple as that.

years of following condition and price sales...what's trending...what's not..alot of research..not just comparing 3 cars/prices...alot of great 66/67 b bodies out there but they don't bring the money the 68 -70 do. Same with pre 67 A bodies..vs 67 on up...

Basically, if you're selling, it's worth what someone will pay. You'll know if it sells right away with little haggling, or it doesn't sell. IMO, it's hard to start low and get higher...

that......

Its hard to put a price on something you like. I bought an 86 Mustang GT convertible to flip, but I have been working on it and driving it. I have owned it 5 years now. It is fun, easy to work on, and parts are cheap relatively speaking. I wont shy away from a decent offer on it though.

good rule of thumb is buy a car YOU like and comfortable wit h what you paid. you like it, then you will probably keep it. and can afford to keep it!!!! if you buy a car to flip, never spend more on it to get it running. buy low, sell high. LOL

here is the nerds method to determine an old cars value. take the asking price, divide by 1.93, multiply by 3, then divide by 30.1..... there ya go....

Put it on Ebay or run it through a local auction.

Pick it up and flip it like a coin... :jocolor:

If it lands on its tires, it's worth some money... :smilebox:

If it lands on its roof, it's not.... :-({|=

I say this all the time. You will pay what you think its worth to YOU! I sold my 73 Camaro years back and was told by the "experts" on a certain forum I would be lucky to get 25,000 I sold it to a guy in MD that loved it and got 32,000. My asking price. Non-z. Granted it was a great car and I updated a bunch of stuff. However he was and is still happy with it. Now those cars sell for around that much. Avoid the "experts" if you really like it and want it. But don't expect some one else pay what you did for it.

With classics there has to be some criteria, for example if it runs and you can drive it home as in it passes a state safety inspection, $5000.00 Minimum. . If it is a ten footer, looks good at 10 feet, that 5K may creep up to 8 or 10. If it is a tow home basket case, it depends what it is, Ive seen ridiculous asking prices for rusting hulk 68 Chargers. the only thing savable is the Vin tag and under hood tag. Mopars get ridiculous, its usually Chevy guys trying to get rich off of them. its funny the same Chevy guy wouldn't get caught dead driving a Mopar back in the day.

There is criteria. It's called put it up for sale and see what you get. There is no other way since the market is never the same and every car is different.

You are asking the impossible. Put thing on Ebay or run it through an auction. Whatever it brings is what it's worth.

If you are not wanting to sell it, then there's no reason to worry about what it's worth. Pretty simple.

people that want to buy my stuff just look in their wallet and say : I got this much"....... ( usually not much there!) LOL

There is criteria. It's called put it up for sale and see what you get. There is no other way since the market is never the same and every car is different.

You are asking the impossible. Put thing on Ebay or run it through an auction. Whatever it brings is what it's worth.

If you are not wanting to sell it, then there's no reason to worry about what it's worth. Pretty simple.

That's one way to do it I suppose. Auction would work for me but I would have a reserve set. Auctions are usually quick sale events, people with cash looking for a steal. I would rather be driving around and have some moneybags guy come up and make me an offer. Different tactics for different folks. But I m not in this hobby for the money so what I think my car is worth is between me and my car, I wont listen to some douchebag lowballing me on my car for more than half a second. I am fortunate to not need cash that bad.

That's one way to do it I suppose. Auction would work for me but I would have a reserve set. Auctions are usually quick sale events, people with cash looking for a steal. I would rather be driving around and have some moneybags guy come up and make me an offer. Different tactics for different folks. But I m not in this hobby for the money so what I think my car is worth is between me and my car, I wont listen to some douchebag lowballing me on my car for more than half a second. I am fortunate to not need cash that bad.

Well I guess so. That's akin to winnin the lottery. Taint likely to happen. Besides, most everybody in this day and age has internet access and unless they are total doumasses, will look to see what somethin sells for, so the chances of dumbassary is even lower.

Sounds like you want somebody to give more than what it's worth......and that's very unlikely.

Keep it drive it and have fun with it. "Smiles per gallon", as waggin would say is priceless.

It depends on the car,year,equipment,original or not,modified,damage,rot,needing resto and if so how much and how much can you do yourself or has to be farmed out. I also look at the cars as a parts car and what their value is in parts and see what additonal value is above that. I part and strip cars out a lot and can determine it's total value in parts from a 5 minute inspection. If it's restorable I pay more attention to the shell/body/trim and interior than mechanical.

Well I guess so. That's akin to winnin the lottery. Taint likely to happen. Besides, most everybody in this day and age has internet access and unless they are total doumasses, will look to see what somethin sells for, so the chances of dumbassary is even lower.

Sounds like you want somebody to give more than what it's worth......and that's very unlikely.

Keep it drive it and have fun with it. "Smiles per gallon", as waggin would say is priceless.

Thats not it at all, in my case I have an H code 340 swinger, it is torn down for paint, not worth much at this point but if someone were to show up and take everything, yes they are going to pay what its worth being an H code Swinger. for the record its not for sale. I don't let the buyer determine the price, but that's just me I like my dart more than the cash some one might give me for it. I believe I stated I'm not in the hobby for money. But to state that an auction is what determines value? Have you watched Barrett-Jackson lately? not many nice cars going across the block lately, and certainly not many nice Mopars.

-
Back