How do I know if it's an actual GTS

-

eagleone1983

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I don't post here much but am a regular over on FBBO. I'm looking at a 1968 Dodge Dart GTS but a few things are off as far as my limited knowlege on this car. Here is the info I have the VIN LS23H8B106, 383 (block is gone though), 727 console shift with bucket seats

AXLE: 3.23 Rear Axle Ratio, Sure Grip
INTERIOR: Sport Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. Green Interior.
PAINT: Monotone Light Green Metallic Paint.
OTHER: Racing Green Metallic Upper Door Frame Color. Black Horizontal Sport Stripe.

The thing that is throwing me off is there is no badging on the car although with the picture I can make out some holes in the front center of the hood but the hood itself is not a power bulge hood. I though all '68s had that hood. I also can't find any info about this horizontal stripe only stripes on the rear area.

Attachments

• 467362-1395772081-599576.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 377
gonna have to be all about the VIN, fender tag and if they match the body numbers. does it have a build sheet with it??

32214050524_large.jpg

That would be a GTS nice find...The numbers 128742 should be on the core support and drivers side trunk lip.

Okay so as long as everything says LS23 and match it should be a no shiz GTS? I've already seen the fender tag, obviously, and the VIN tag and they match. Not sure if he still have a broadcast sheet with the car or not. So my assumtion is the hood is a replacement or did some come without the power bulge?

The VIN number you gave in your first post starts with 106 and the VIN number on the tag is 128742....So that fender tag does not go with the VIN you said in the first post....However, the VIN in the first post has letter "S" as the second letter which indicates it is a GTS and not a regular dart....So I would make sure that VIN number "106---" is stamped everywhere else on the car itself...Not the 128742 number

On a 68 the fender tag will not match to the dash tag.The shipping order number on the bottom right of the fender tag "128742"should be on the core support and trunk lid.The "106" number will not be on the body.

On a 68 the fender tag will not match to the dash tag.The shipping order number on the bottom right of the fender tag "128742"should be on the core support and trunk lid.The "106" number will not be on the body.

Wow, I never knew that...It does on the later style model fender tags

Didn't even notice they didn't match, but I guess they aren't supposed to. Thanks for the info. So would that be a fair price?

Thanks for that link H20, gives a good representation of what the car would look like. Just change the stripe to black and add a green vinyl top.

Here's a pic of the fender tag

a6-bucket seat
b4-console
R1-AM radio
X2-tinted windshield
Y4-Green vinyl top
25-Drip moldings
30-rocker moldings
78-wheel well moldings
A4-3.23 gear
X8-SureGrip
S6F-green interior
FF1-Light Green Metallic
UG-upper door paint-green
S1-Horizontal stripe-black
LS23-Dart GTS 2 door hardtop
62-383 4 barrel
5- transmission-727
38- E70-14 RedLine tires
818- scheduled build date- Friday August 18, 1967
128742- Sequence number- NOT to be confused with the VIN on the dash.

Looks like they lost the bulge hood somewhere and replaced with a flat Dart hood. The "GTS" emblems would be located in that gap in the striping just before the doors.

There were two 68 GTS Darts in this city that were bought new by brothers that both had the stripe that is on that car, so yes it is correct for a GTS.

I see no one has asked yet if the engine and transmission match the car. Numbers on the engine will be at the rear behind the oil pressure switch on top where the transmission meets the block. Also on A/T cars the transmission number should be stamped on the trans in the same area.

Thanks Mitch, there is no motor with the car but the supposedly numbers matching transmission is included. How would this affect what I should offer? When I bought my Roadrunner I didn't care about this kind of stuff cause I knew I was building that car for me and it would stay in the family. This one I have to be a little more careful.

Already thinking about selling it?? You might remember me from FBBO 68 Chicken. I bought my GTS back in May 2013 and it is a numbers car including drive train. I paid $4500 for it, but it needs quarters, rockers and a deck lid. Hope that helps. Oh ,I never had plans on selling the RR but.... I did in Nov. Only because I was able to pry away a 70 Cuda 383 4spd numbers car from a guy that I had been trying to get it from for years. Never say Never. LOL. Good Luck on the GTS

Oh hey! Trust me the RR is going nowhere but to my daughter, if she sells it I'll haunt her. A Cuda would be tempting, I've also got a line on a Cuda but I think he wants to much for it even though it is driveable but has a crappy paint job and needs a trunk, extensions, and maybe some other minor things. I can't tell what this GTS needs from the pics but the reason I'm worried about resale is because my wife can get hardcore into things then not be interested the next month, so I've got to be smart about it.

A 383 GTS with a fender will have a good resale.I had a lot of people here that told me mine was only worth $6500.00 since I was selling it with no motor and the original engine was gone.I sold it for $13,500.00 I knew what the car was worth.I would say bring 6K cash and see what the seller has to say.

i seen this in the utah as well. i am glad to see someone from utah asking questions about it on fabo.

-
Back