How do i remove keyed lock from door 70 dart

-
Remove the window crank, inside door latch handle, arm rest, and door panel. After that, unclip and disconnect the rods attached to the lock, and then remove the clip securing the lock from inside the door.

the door lock on your 70 dart should be the same as on 67-69 A-Body's. if so, the lock is held in place by a thin metal "C-clip" that slides between the door lock and the door.

remove the window crank - should be an allen screw in the middle of the crank at the attachment shaft OR a "c-clip" around the shaft of the crank (that is a chevy design). remove the arm rest - two philips screws through the arm rest into the door. there might also be a chrome trime piece by the arm rest that also has a philips screw holding it on. once all items are removed from the door panel, look at the panel closely to see if there are any visable philips screws. if you don't see any, take a WIDE flat screw driver or a metal paint putty knife and insert it at the bottom of the door between the door panel and the door. pry outward. the door panel should separate from the door with a "click" or "snap." follow all around the door panel prying it from the door. remove the door panel and take the window crank and roll the window ALL THE WAY UP. you should be able to see the door lock clearly once the window is up. shine a flash light on the lock and you will see the thin metal spring c-clip. disconnect the locking "actuating" arm from either the key lock or the door lock and pry the clip away from the lock with a small flat screw driver. once the clip is removed, the lock will push out through the door.

hope this helps...

the door lock on your 70 dart should be the same as on 67-69 A-Body's. if so, the lock is held in place by a thin metal "C-clip" that slides between the door lock and the door.

remove the window crank - should be an allen screw in the middle of the crank at the attachment shaft OR a "c-clip" around the shaft of the crank (that is a chevy design). remove the arm rest - two philips screws through the arm rest into the door. there might also be a chrome trime piece by the arm rest that also has a philips screw holding it on. once all items are removed from the door panel, look at the panel closely to see if there are any visable philips screws. if you don't see any, take a WIDE flat screw driver or a metal paint putty knife and insert it at the bottom of the door between the door panel and the door. pry outward. the door panel should separate from the door with a "click" or "snap." follow all around the door panel prying it from the door. remove the door panel and take the window crank and roll the window ALL THE WAY UP. you should be able to see the door lock clearly once the window is up. shine a flash light on the lock and you will see the thin metal spring c-clip. disconnect the locking "actuating" arm from either the key lock or the door lock and pry the clip away from the lock with a small flat screw driver. once the clip is removed, the lock will push out through the door.

hope this helps...

Very helpful post. I don't wanna hijack this thread but quick question...is this process the same for a 66 Dart? Both of my door locks have issues and need repair. Thx! ~Jimmy

Very helpful post. I don't wanna hijack this thread but quick question...is this process the same for a 66 Dart? Both of my door locks have issues and need repair. Thx! ~Jimmy

hi Veeco...

many older cars - pre-1960 - used philips screws to hold the door panels on to the doors along with the screws through the arm rests and chrome trim. sometime in the mid-1960's, manufacturers started using "plastic clips or buttons" to hold the door panels on. that is the way almost all vehicle trim is attached today. as to door locks, again, some pre-1960 vehicles used a threaded "collar nut" screwed onto the door lock mechanism (much like the collar nut that holds a kitchen or bathroom faucet on to the sink). your 1966 Dart "should" use the plastic buttons to hold the door panel on. the window crank and door handle should have an allen screw in the middle of the face of the handle. if you don't see one, take a flat screw driver and put it between the handle and door pannel and pry the door panel open enouch to see if there is a spring "C-clip" or C wire clip holding the handle on. the handle will be held on by one or the other. the arm rest is held on by large philips screws. the small chrome trim strip on the door should be attached to the door panel itself with pressed metal "tabs" into the cardboard door panel. however, look at the ends of this strip to see if there is a small flat head philips screw, there might be, remove any screws you see ANYWHERE on the door panel. once you've removed everything you can see, start at the bottom of the door and pry the panel off of the steel door. as you move around the door panel, you will be able to see if you run into a screw you've missed.

the door lock on your dart should be held on with a thin spring metal C-clip...

hi Veeco...

many older cars - pre-1960 - used philips screws to hold the door panels on to the doors along with the screws through the arm rests and chrome trim. sometime in the mid-1960's, manufacturers started using "plastic clips or buttons" to hold the door panels on. that is the way almost all vehicle trim is attached today. as to door locks, again, some pre-1960 vehicles used a threaded "collar nut" screwed onto the door lock mechanism (much like the collar nut that holds a kitchen or bathroom faucet on to the sink). your 1966 Dart "should" use the plastic buttons to hold the door panel on. the window crank and door handle should have an allen screw in the middle of the face of the handle. if you don't see one, take a flat screw driver and put it between the handle and door pannel and pry the door panel open enouch to see if there is a spring "C-clip" or C wire clip holding the handle on. the handle will be held on by one or the other. the arm rest is held on by large philips screws. the small chrome trim strip on the door should be attached to the door panel itself with pressed metal "tabs" into the cardboard door panel. however, look at the ends of this strip to see if there is a small flat head philips screw, there might be, remove any screws you see ANYWHERE on the door panel. once you've removed everything you can see, start at the bottom of the door and pry the panel off of the steel door. as you move around the door panel, you will be able to see if you run into a screw you've missed.

the door lock on your dart should be held on with a thin spring metal C-clip...
Yes I found the c clip and popped it off with a small screw driver thank you for all of the help its greatly appreciated

Make sure you bag and tag everything. Never assume you will remember where things go. That has bitten me more than once. Now I go through SEVERAL boxes of different size zip lock bags with each car I do. I even sketch diagrams of how things came apart if needed.

Make sure you bag and tag everything. Never assume you will remember where things go. That has bitten me more than once. Now I go through SEVERAL boxes of different size zip lock bags with each car I do. I even sketch diagrams of how things came apart if needed.
I did not sketch but i did bag and label everything

-
Back