how do i remove power gear box 68

-

chubsgts

Reaction score
ok so i need to remove the gear box for a rebuild

whats the best route i hear the colum needs to come out and the mounting plate on fire wall so fourth
and insider input would be great

You're listenin to the wrong people. Is it power or manual?

No need to remove the column. Just disconnect the shaft at the gearbox, remove the pressure and return lines, disconnect the pitman arm and remove the three bolts holdin it to the K member.

and i would think it comes out the bottom im taking my manifolds off so ill probley do those first then pull that

Here's a link I found that may help http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/steering-chuck.html.

I am removing mine within the next day or so but I have TTI Headers. I am going to loosen the drivers side engine mounting bolt and jack the engine up.

The attached article did this on a car with manifolds and pulled the box from the top.

Good Luck!

I have TTI headers and replaced mine with a firm feel and had no problems getting it out the top. You have to loosen headers on both ends then the box can be wiggled around to remove from the top.

I have TTI headers and replaced mine with a firm feel and had no problems getting it out the top. You have to loosen headers on both ends then the box can be wiggled around to remove from the top.

Did you jack the engine up? So I just have to loosen the drivers side header and collector bolts? I thought I would have to remove the bolts at the collecter so when I jacked it up it wouldn't bind.

good article there funny some one says to not remove column but book says to any buddy remove theres or just leave it in and push up on the shaft out of the way

good article there funny some one says to not remove column but book says to any buddy remove theres or just leave it in and push up on the shaft out of the way

I told you exactly how I do it. I don't know what else to say to make you understand. Maybe in another language? :laughing:

F'n TTI headers!

Okay I've got the everything loose from the box. Headers are loose. Engine jacked up about 2 inches. It won't go any higher as the header tube is hitting the torsion bar. Still can't get it out from the top.

I was thinking of taking the header bolts all the way out and removing the collector bolts. Than I was thinking of tilting the header back. Any thoughts on this? Or maybe I should take the torsion bar out an maybe the engine will go up higher?

I am afraid to jack it up any higher as ther exhuast, 4 speed etc may be binding and I don't want to break anything.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Well I got the power steering box out! My set up again is a 74 Duster 360 4-speed. This is what I did to remove the box. It appears that it may be a little bit easier with an automatic based on some PM's that I had with another member. (Thanks for the help BenLab1954)

1. Removed Pitman Arm
2. Removed PS Pump (I did this because I had to replace. I think I would do it again if I had to as it gave me more room)
2a. Removed PS Hoses
3. Removed Battery Box (My battery was out so I took the box out. Just for more room)
4. Removed PS Coupler. (I did slide the column back for a bit more room.)
5. Removed Header Collector Bolts
6. Removed Top Bolt of Z-Bar Bracket on Bellhousing
7. Loosened bottom Z-bar Bracket bolt on BH as my bracket is slotted
8. Removed DS Torsion bar
9. Removed 3 PS Gear Box Bolts
10. Jacked Engine up
11. Pulled PS Gear box from the top

Hopefully this will help somone else. Now if I had my box from Firm Feel box I would be outside putting it back together instead of writing this! lol.

LOL If the box coupling isn't separated from the input shaft, when the gearbox drops , its weight will rip the box coupling apart. Ask me how I know.

-
Back