How do these plugs look???

-

Budgetmoparman

Reaction score
These are the spark plugs out of my 340 after about 300 miles of driving. How do they look to you guys? It runs great. I pulled the plugs so I could turn it over to adjust the valves and figured I would see what you guys think. Does it look lean, rich, right on? I'm not good at reading plugs. Thanks for any replies.

IMG_2771.JPG

IMG_2772.JPG

They'll all look lean because of ethanol. Nearly impossible to read plugs with ethanol in the mix. Best to use AF meter.

These are the spark plugs out of my 340 after about 300 miles of driving. How do they look to you guys? It runs great. I pulled the plugs so I could turn it over to adjust the valves and figured I would see what you guys think. Does it look lean, rich, right on? I'm not good at reading plugs. Thanks for any replies.

View attachment 1715188694

View attachment 1715188695

From why I see...timing is about as good as it can get. Idle and cruise are about spot on. Can't tell about WOT because I need to see the bottom of the nose where it meets the shell. There should be a carbon ring down there about .100-.125 wide. If it is wider than that it is lean at WOT.

As far as heat range...if it's an NGK plug it's about right. If it's a Champion it's a range, maybe two too hot. If it's an Autolite...I'm guessing...but I'd say PFC to maybe one range warm.

If you want to cut the shell off and post some other pictures I can say more about WOT.

After that, you need a magnifying glass and patience to see if the timing curve is close and stuff like that.

Overall, I'd say your tune up is pretty damn good.

From why I see...timing is about as good as it can get. Idle and cruise are about spot on. Can't tell about WOT because I need to see the bottom of the nose where it meets the shell. There should be a carbon ring down there about .100-.125 wide. If it is wider than that it is lean at WOT.

As far as heat range...if it's an NGK plug it's about right. If it's a Champion it's a range, maybe two too hot. If it's an Autolite...I'm guessing...but I'd say PFC to maybe one range warm.

If you want to cut the shell off and post some other pictures I can say more about WOT.

After that, you need a magnifying glass and patience to see if the timing curve is close and stuff like that.

Overall, I'd say your tune up is pretty damn good.
They are Autolite 65. Should I richen it up a hair or call it good? It is just a cruiser. I only have around 300 miles on the motor. The carb is a 750 double pumper.

dark black soot around ring and first couple threads tells me it's rich. like to see a little lighter color.

I damn sure ain't moving in the with in laws who live across the property.
I didn't know you had a motorhome to pull the car trailer? Meaning you can come to the Mopar Nationals and spend the night in your motorhome when you go race?

I didn't know you had a motorhome to pull the car trailer? Meaning you can come to the Mopar Nationals and spend the night in your motorhome when you go race?

It's too small to pull the car. I bought it when I was riding dirt bikes. No way would I try pulling a car with it.

Well it's obviously a Mopar isn't it a 360 or 413? Do we need to hop that thing up or what?!

Of course it's a Dodge. It's more like a van with a camper on it. That's what size MH it is. At the time I was riding by myself so it's all I needed. Plus we had one dog and a kid so it was the perfect size. Then we ended up with 4 (FOUR) dogs and they made the MH a tight fit.

Damn dogs

Of course it's a Dodge. It's more like a van with a camper on it. That's what size MH it is. At the time I was riding by myself so it's all I needed. Plus we had one dog and a kid so it was the perfect size. Then we ended up with 4 (FOUR) dogs and they made the MH a tight fit.

Damn dogs
More cozy that way...

Damn dogs
Sounds like plenty of room for a 440?

How wide is the fuel ring? Cut the shell off and post some pictures.
How should I go about cutting the shell off? Can I use a cutoff wheel or will that discolor it and make it difficult to read? I have never cut the shell off a spark plug before.

How should I go about cutting the shell off? Can I use a cutoff wheel or will that discolor it and make it difficult to read? I have never cut the shell off a spark plug before.

I'm lazy. I use my lathe. But any way you can get it off there is Ok. Hacksaw, cut off wheel, a file if you are into self abuse...whatever you have to get it off.

I'm lazy. I use my lathe. But any way you can get it off there is Ok. Hacksaw, cut off wheel, a file if you are into self abuse...whatever you have to get it off.
I think I will use a cutoff wheel. I don't like the file idea, I'm not that ambitious. I will cut one apart tomorrow morning and post pictures.

I think I will use a cutoff wheel. I don't like the file idea, I'm not that ambitious. I will cut one apart tomorrow morning and post pictures.

I'm not ambitious either. That's why I have the lathe. I'm lazy from way back when. Work smart not hard. Write checks, stay clean.

-
Back