How do you ensure that the gasoline that you purchase is the best quality?

-

like_A_pike

that's not factory
Reaction score
A little query seems to show that premium gasoline only makes up 11% of sales nationwide. I sometimes wonder if the particular station I buy from sells it routinely enough to keep their inventory “fresh”. Am I crazy or can you unknowingly procure vintage gasoline?
The internet has also lead me to believe that the bargain station that I may go to for my daily driver probably is not the place to take my old car. Do many of you seek out distributors of “Top Tier” fuels? Economy gas station brands don’t sell them apparently. One has to seek out stations that do.
I can’t say that I have noticed changes in performance regardless of where I bought the premium, or the rare times that I put regular through it for that matter. I think that the car did not like that one batch of non ethanol regular I bought once however. Should I pay more attention to the quality of my gasoline?
Thanks

You cannot insure anything about the crap at the pump other than buying 55 gals of fuel from a known reseller. Even the amount of chemicals we have to add to “stabilize” just to last 2-3 months.

There are reports out on you tube that claim even octain is a lie here in the US.
We pay more for higher octain fuel but it is the same as the cheap stuff. Honestly my car does not ping on cheap or high octain with over 10-1 ratio.

I use ethanol free gas. It's the closest thing to Real gas still available at the pump. I have stored it 2 years in my motorcycle after 2 kicks it ran perfect and didn't show any signs of fuel going stale.

I agree with Big.J, But we have a hard time finding ethanol free gas up here in Northern Ohio. I only found one place close to me in Twinsburg Oh. (Sheets). We are getting screwed with this garbage gas as it eats our engine components and has no shelf life !

I get 90 octane non ethanol at QT Gas Station. Most Walmart Gas stations have non ethanol as well... but that gas is a Crapshoot.
It’s called “super clear” or non ethonal, in the Portland metro. I know of about 10 stations in the area. Also stations close to a boat launch. Are good to look at.

Most Walmart Gas stations have non ethanol as well... but that gas is a Crapshoot.
Yeah, the Wally World in Lufkin is where I had a bad experience. It was advertised as 85 octane ethanol free.
Also stations close to a boat launch. Are good to look at
My favorite station was in Zavala Tx near a reservoir. But kinda outta the way.

When I ran pump gas I had heard BP93 was on of the most targeted by racers. I ran it for several years with zero issues. I didn’t price check I just pulled in and bought it from the same station every week. During that time I would grab 10 gallons and run it in the race car, generators, and quad. When I switched to alcohol my hardest conversion was getting my quad and generators used to running on the cheap stuff again.

-
Back