How do you remove brake pushrod from master cylinder?

-

74scamp360

Reaction score
Hey guys i've got the master cylinder off the volare that i took all the brake stuff off of and am trying to take the pushrod out of the master cylinder so that i can use an adjustable one to get the brake pedal to line up again, trouble is i can't get the pushrod itself to come out. Any tips or tricks on how to do this? I've been told by other people that they just pop out but thats obviosly not happening, thanks in advance guys

what I did on my car was

I let the master on the car
I pull on the pedal as hard as I could
and it pop out

maybe it could work for you

Clamp it in a vise, put a large screwdriver through the bolt hole, and yank, HARD. It's just a little rubber ring holding it in, but sometimes they are a real pain.

Yup, it's just a rubber sleeve holding it in with a friction fit. Sometimes it seems that rubber has turned to carbon fiber over time, but it will just pull out with enough force applied.

I'm not a brake guy, so I looked in the the manual and it says that there is a snap ring that you remove, and all the guts can come out.
Hope this helps.

Vise, and bull it out, if not saving the mc; rod in vise, and beat the mc off the rod.

Finally got my rod out of the MC. NOW the question is......do I need something to keep the rod in the new master cyl?

Oh. Yeah. What about my MC to firewall seal? Since mine is cracked, do I need a new one? I can't figure out why there's a seal there anyhow. Year One wants a fortune!

This little stuff is driving me crazy
icon6.gif

Ok.
To remove,leave m/c bolted in,remove brake light switch bracket,pull brake pedal back towards you.Presto,its out !!

To install,first install m/c rubber grommet (a socket the size of the grommet works best)
with the socket,just push it in.
Install m/c.
Put a little WD-40 on the end of the brake rod.
Put the return spring and rubber cover on.
Raise the rod up to the m/c and push it in.
Done

PS: Make sure you bench bleed the m/c.
And yes get a new m/c gasket. It keeps engine fumes out.There cheap.

View attachment Picture 022.jpg

What mc is that from johhny?

83-94 Dodge/Chrysler Alum M/C.
Came in a Laser,Lebaron,New Yorker,Town &Country,Aries,Charger,
Lancer,Omni.......and on and on.
You name it they came with it.
You will need the adapter bracket for it. Complete,set (with adapter) goes for around $100.00 on E-bay. Not bad.
Look for Mopar alum m/c.
Get the one with the straight reservoir. They have a slanted resivoir,makes filling a pain.
The heat shield is a Mopar Performance part. Works good at keeping the M/C cool.

never thought I would droll over a pic of a mc :drunken:

Ok.
To remove,leave m/c bolted in,remove brake light switch bracket,pull brake pedal back towards you.Presto,its out !!

To install,first install m/c rubber grommet (a socket the size of the grommet works best)
Install m/c.
Done

well guys after some more persuasion i managed to get the pushrod out, but, the rubber came out with it and doesn't appear to be in very good condition. any suggestions?

Most if not all new Master Cylinders come with a new rubber piece.

Check your box. If you do not have one you should be able to buy one from the auto parts shop.

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule!

this is a used one out of a volare and i'm just putting in an adjustable pushrod, guess i'll have to check the parts store, thanks for the help guys!!

well guys after some more persuasion i managed to get the pushrod out, but, the rubber came out with it and doesn't appear to be in very good condition. any suggestions?

New master should come with it. If it doesnt tell them it is missing,and you want one with it.

Please read my info on the install,regarding putting the rubber grommet in the m/c first with a socket.

this is a used one out of a volare and i'm just putting in an adjustable pushrod, guess i'll have to check the parts store, thanks for the help guys!!

Why use a used master out of a Volare ?
A fresh rebuilt m/c at (Autozone,ect) is $20.00
No adjustable pushrod needed.
And if you can afford any new part on a car,a new m/c would be it.
Concerning brakes,this is ,for the most part,the most important part on a car.Stopping is important. No time to scimp out now.

Ok.

Install m/c.
Done

View attachment 212367
Dig the heat shield..

-
Back