How do you save car money

-
One thing life has taught me is that every time i have money saved up for that one part, bam! a similar priced appliance or something needs replaced instead.

I think this was the reason it took me 8 years to build my cuda.

Any jobs I do for labor only gets put into the cuda fund.

One thing life has taught me is that every time i have money saved up for that one part, bam! a similar priced appliance or something needs replaced instead.

I think this was the reason it took me 8 years to build my cuda.

Any jobs I do for labor only gets put into the cuda fund.

lol we have the same life. its always something. 8 years aint bad as nice as she is.

The change to my employment status has altered the parts money strategy to the following:
1. Rotation of which bills get blown-off until the next month when something good comes up
2. Turning wrenches on other people's crap or various handyman stuff for a few dollars here and there
3. Eating squirrels/cats/bugs to shift revenue from the food budget **

** potential future strategy adaptation

I get paid once a month so I buy what I need first then starve the rest of the month, forced savings plan

Used to get overtime which I got half of for the cars. They won't give me any OT this winter so mods to the Dart are going to be few this winter.So I'm car pooling.Don't drink or smoke.No fast food.No more car mags.Change bottle.Anywhere that I can save a dime.Its not easy.But when you hear and feel that 4bbv open,it's all worth it.

I sometimes go to the sperm donor clinic and see if they are looking for any "kids". Gotta do whacha gonna do anyway.....may as well make money with it. Helps for the arm-wrestling too

Dealing blow and heroine. Pimpin' ho's too. Every little ***** helps. :toothy10:

No.. no.. no... :angry7:
I took on a second job for a year. It ended last Nov. 15. In the end I was down to 12 - 16 hours a day. Before that I was working 16 - 22 hours a day. I'm working 1 job now. Taking a breather before I find something in the spring. I was working too many hours to spend any of it. But now my Scottish side doesn't want to spend the cash.

I don't go out to bars. If I drink, I buy a 40oz bottle and can make it last a month. I don't smoke. I've cut the fast food way down. I've got no wife, girlfriend or kids. That saves me a bundle right there. My rent is cheap and utilities are included. Although this year I want to find a 2 bedroom. I just cut out all the digital cable crap. Cut my bill down by almost $100/month. If my apartment faced the south, I'd get a free-to-air box.

In the 10 years I've owned my Demon, I have spent less than $2,000 on it. This spring I take the prybar to my wallet and start spending.

Wylde1.

Ha thats a good one Wylde1! As far as free to air, dont bother, not right now anyway. I got a box back in Feb 09, worked great. Now its down and it might be for good.

I do some side jobs for the neighbors and relatives. I have sold or tried to sell all parts taken off my demon that are not going to be used. I make rear weights for john deere garden tractors used with snowblowers. Made out of old forklift forks(free) and sell for $100 each! Repair small engines and lawnmowers and snowblowers! Jared

john deere weights 002 (Small).jpg

john deere weights 001 (Small).jpg

The change to my employment status has altered the parts money strategy to the following:
1. Rotation of which bills get blown-off until the next month when something good comes up
2. Turning wrenches on other people's crap or various handyman stuff for a few dollars here and there
3. Eating squirrels/cats/bugs to shift revenue from the food budget **

** potential future strategy adaptation

Been there.... Bugs suck. :-D

Have a second job to stay on top of the bills and I have a side business painting motorcycles / car parts . I have also found bartering ( craigslist ) to be a huge help.

double dipper...

have retirement from one job...working for consultant doing the same i did at old job...

Buy household stuff on sale and in bulk. Shirts from thrift store. I have a money box with a slot cut in it, any paper money larger than $1 bills goes into it and I stay out of it until I need something for my car.

Did a seminar about 5 years ago for our membership on how to save money for various purposes in life including retirement, homes, cars and other major expenses.
The theme of the conference was " Save Dollars Where You Can" and the ideas that came out after two days was outstanding to say the least.
Here are just some examples in no definite order.

Pay down your personal debt... especially high interest credit cards
Pay yourself first... save 10 % of your net income
Keep carefull tabs on household expenses... turn down the heat at night, use energy saving light bulbs, seal windows and doors, carefully monitor the food budget( one member said he saved nearly 3000 dollars per year on household expenses after the conference.
Review bank service charges
Review insurance for cost including life, house, automobile, etc.
Pay your bills on time and save interest charges.
Review your entertainment expenses... you just might be shocked
What type of automobiles do you drive and how many do you own? Do you drive a truck to work and maybe the car will do.
Do you need to work a second job? Sometimes it makes sense to generate more income.
Personal needs including haircuts, hair salon, clothing and footwear,,, this might be another shock to some people.

I could go on but I think everyone gets the idea

Lot's of good ideas here for saving money.

I do small cash jobs that I immediately put into a money market account that I call "Daddy's Play Fund". It earns a little interest and only allows a few withdrawls per month, but came with a debit card so I can buy stuff on line. As long as the bills are getting paid, my wife doesn't care what I do with the money.

I also flip anything I can on Craigslist. If I see something that someone is selling, and I know it is worth more than they are asking, I usually buy it. Clean and fix it up, take a few good pictures, and post it on CL. I'm buying my mother in laws old car right now, should make about $500 on it by the time I'm done. Straight into the play fund!!!

i go to my local thrift stores almost once a week, if i see anything that looks like its worth more than what they are selling it for i buy it and put it on ebay. recently bought two NOS car audio FM converters at the thrift store for $2 each and sold on ebay for $60 and $70 each. In December I made over $600 selling on ebay but it all went immediately to bills and a couple christmas presents for my boy. But I will sell anything, clothes, dishes, furniture, record albums, electronics, etc etc. especially if its vintage it brings more money. You just have to have a good eye for stuff.
I also frequent a very large and old junkyard and have done pretty well pulling parts for resale on ebay from there.
I have had much more success on ebay than on craigslist, I haven't sold anything that i've posted on c/l ever. it seems like the ads just get buried too quickly.
I also save all my change, pack all my lunches, stay away from the snack machine at work, try to eat out as little as possible and hardly ever go out to movies, bars, etc. I live only 7 miles from work but I try not to go home on my lunch break unless absolutely necessary. I do however, use my vehicle for errands at work almost daily and I get paid for mileage for that so that helps.
I smoke but have cut down to less than half a pack a day, that saved me $15/wk.
Like to have a beer now and then but I get whats on sale at the grocery, not picky about it, and stay away from the imported or gormet beers. Try to buy household consumables like toilet paper and paper towels in bulk at the club stores. Buy all my clothes at the thrift store except for underware and socks, and usually get those for christmas and birthday presents. also use gift-giving occasions to get something that is needed, not a luxury item. try to do repairs around the house myself unless it absolutely requires a licensed professional (gas, electric). also drive two old cars daily that I own outright so no car payments and they are not perfect so insurance is a bit cheaper.
What is killing me right now is paying health insurance for my family. costs me a over a third of my meager paycheck every two weeks. Wife moved out (we're seperated but still married) and she has some health issues so I can't bring myself to take her off the insurance otherwise she would be SOL.

now you might wonder how big my car fund is, well, its at $0 right now because I have to do all these things just to stay afloat and keep the bills paid on a yearly wage that is just over the federal poverty line. However, I'm not complaining, i'm just happy to still have a job and be current for the most part on my bills. tax refund time might see some new parts on one of my vehicles but i haven't decided which one yet haha.

-Tim

I install appliances for a large retail chain store and service 14 of these stores in N.C. I occasionally get some very good appliances that I pull out of homes (Some that are new, funny how people just change these out because they want stainless steel) I have the option of either putting these on a junk trailer to be sold for scrap, scrap them myself, or I will turn them around and sell them myself. I always get some good Appliances and these will sell very quickly, especially when I will install and guarantee these appliances 1 year from date of install. I also do a LOT of side jobs from my main job and this has been a bonanza in supplying a lot of NOS parts for my Duster. It does not hurt to work for 2 hours and be able to make $50.00/hr in labor costs to do various plumbing/appliance repairs. It has slowed down recently but I know it will pick up soon but right now it has been really slow.

Used to wire hot rods.Everybody does not want to wrestle with the snakes and it can bring in a few hundred bucks per job. Problem is, you get a little weary after a while. Old bones don't fold into the tight spots like they used to. Still will do one for myself, but I'm done with selling myself to others.

Used to wire hot rods.Everybody does not want to wrestle with the snakes and it can bring in a few hundred bucks per job. Problem is, you get a little weary after a while. Old bones don't fold into the tight spots like they used to. Still will do one for myself, but I'm done with selling myself to others.

I hear you. I could do a lot of side work but my old body is just tired a lot nowadays.

Parts for sale are helping build bigger inches!(c.i)Some O.T is helping also.Winter months seem to help here.

-
Back