How does shipping with Fastenal work?

-

halfafish

Damn those rabbits, and their holes!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for an engine, and I'm not finding anything locally. I've seen a few possibilities elsewhere, but it would require shipping. I recall reading a number of times that Fastenal is a pretty cost-effective way to ship something big and heavy like an engine. Could folks with experience at this provide some feedback please?

Of particular interest is what requirements does Fastenal have for packaging, how much did they charge, and how long did it take go get your delivery.

First, everything has to be on a pallet, period. And the pallet size and weight are to be included in the shipping dimensions. The item has to be inside the confines of the pallet, and fastened securely to the pallet. The entire package is weighed, and using an online quote request is sent to Fastenal, where it is reviewed by one of their 3pl personnel. They then send you the quote back, you ok it and they send back confirmation that you print off and take to the fastenal store with you. You can either pay for it at origin or destination. They will not ship body panels, as they are considered too fragile for them to cover thru insurance. Last package I shipped was an auto transmission, I stood it up on its converter end, built a wooden crate for it, and stood it up on a pallet and strapped it down! $165 to ship it from Michigan to Texas!

i have done this.I got a shipping form,filled it out and called my store with the info.They gave me a quote.I then had the item i bought strapped to a pallet by the seller and delivered to the store he was shipping from and paid when i picked it up at my store.
..economical and easy!

I shipped a 904 and converter from here in VA To MO and it cost $135.

My Fastenal contact said they would ship body panels IF they fit on a standard pallet and are boxed. When I dropped my shipment off, there WAS a fender all really bubble wrapped waiting to go out FWIW!

First, everything has to be on a pallet, period. And the pallet size and weight are to be included in the shipping dimensions. The item has to be inside the confines of the pallet, and fastened securely to the pallet. The entire package is weighed, and using an online quote request is sent to Fastenal, where it is reviewed by one of their 3pl personnel. They then send you the quote back, you ok it and they send back confirmation that you print off and take to the fastenal store with you. You can either pay for it at origin or destination. They will not ship body panels, as they are considered too fragile for them to cover thru insurance. Last package I shipped was an auto transmission, I stood it up on its converter end, built a wooden crate for it, and stood it up on a pallet and strapped it down! $165 to ship it from Michigan to Texas!

I have shipped doors, fenders, hoods and everything inbetween, all you have to do is build a box around it, I used OSB board and 2x3 and it worked great never had a problem.

Being that I am the guy who ends having to actually deliver this stuff, I cant overstate to make sure you secure AND USE GOOD pallets. You would believe how many times I have to take pictures and document on my end, just so your claim is denied because the shipper did a piss poor job. I have seen 5.9 Cummins strapped to pallets with lash straps. Then, the bottom of that pallets are falling through due to the weight of the engine. On top of that, the pallet itself is to short and you have a foot of engine hanging off both ends and then wonder why its damaged. Wrecking yards take an old tire and set the engine on that, then use wire and twist tie it from each corner. Seems to work and they do it quite often. LKQ seems to be the big engine shipper we deal with. If I were to send an engine, I would get a pallet in the best shape I could find, place a sheet of plywood on top and support the oilpan with a 4x4 under the highest part, a 2x4 on both sides and rear and then either band it, wire it or even use ratchet straps and finally a 2x4 frame around that. Then if it gets damaged, you'll sure as heck know. If the packaging is in good shape, but the item is damaged, its not going to be covered by the shipping company. Its considered concealed damage and its all on the shipper at that point.

Being that I am the guy who ends having to actually deliver this stuff, I cant overstate to make sure you secure AND USE GOOD pallets. You would believe how many times I have to take pictures and document on my end, just so your claim is denied because the shipper did a piss poor job. I have seen 5.9 Cummins strapped to pallets with lash straps. Then, the bottom of that pallets are falling through due to the weight of the engine. On top of that, the pallet itself is to short and you have a foot of engine hanging off both ends and then wonder why its damaged. Wrecking yards take an old tire and set the engine on that, then use wire and twist tie it from each corner. Seems to work and they do it quite often. LKQ seems to be the big engine shipper we deal with. If I were to send an engine, I would get a pallet in the best shape I could find, place a sheet of plywood on top and support the oilpan with a 4x4 under the highest part, a 2x4 on both sides and rear and then either band it, wire it or even use ratchet straps and finally a 2x4 frame around that. Then if it gets damaged, you'll sure as heck know. If the packaging is in good shape, but the item is damaged, its not going to be covered by the shipping company. Its considered concealed damage and its all on the shipper at that point.
:thankyou:Good info.....

I have shipped doors, fenders, hoods and everything inbetween, all you have to do is build a box around it, I used OSB board and 2x3 and it worked great never had a problem.

I got a message back with my request to send a trunk lid to Florida stating that it was considered "easily damaged and uninsurable", and I was charging the guy $25 for the trunk lid, not exactly NOS Hemi stuff. But, it's their rules!

That's why it's in a box and listed as car parts. I never had a problem with them unless they changed the rules lately.

That's why it's in a box and listed as car parts. I never had a problem with them unless they changed the rules lately.

I think I'm too honest, I told Jennifer it was a trunk lid, she poo poo'd that immedietly!

All great info. Was also wondering how shipping through fastenal worked. Thanks

Shipping hoods, trunks and doors are a pain in the butt. They have corners and since you can't move them with a forklift, they get hand carried (Except when the dock guy puts them on top of other freight to move across the dock) and set down. This is when the corners of the body part gets damaged. Most companies do a crap job of protecting the corners of hoods. I deliver a lot to Mitsubishi, Kia and Hyundai as well as Ford and Subaru. Mitsubishi seems the worst. JC Whitney sends a lot of hoods and I havent seen any damaged yet. Then again, they double box and use Styrofoam in both boxes.

I bought some K-H brake parts off a guy on this site about 6 months ago. I contacted Fastenal and they told me shipping was backed up to the West Coast and they couldn't ship anything for a couple of months. Huh? Business must be good.

Right now, or at least last week we had an embargo on freight going to New Jersey and the surrounding area due to weather. Also had embargos in the past to Houston and southern Florida. We won't pick up freight destined to these affected areas due to the fact that it will just sit on the docks or in trailers until the weather clears.

They lost a pallet slated for me back in the winter..... And because I kept on top of it they found it. And they adjusted the cost so whomever I spoke with in the end of my escapade knew how to make the wrong right.

Take whatever you are shipping and wrap it well with film. Then go get you a cheap can of bright Green Neon paint and spray it well. If they lose it like they did mine that thing will stick out like a sore thumb.....

Otherwise the system is extremely easy to use.....

JW

-
Back