How hard is a power steering gearbox rebuild? 73 dart

-

Lasalle

Reaction score
The power steering gearbox on my 73 Dart leaks bad and I have to do something. It leaks where the steering column goes in and the pitman shaft comes out. A mechanic told me the bearings inside are worn and that allows the shafts to move sideways and ruin the seals.

Is replacing the bearings and seals something I can do or does the unit need to be sent away for a rebuild? I'm looking for options. I would prefer to repair the original or have it done. Does it require special tools? Where can I get the parts? Where can I send it out to be rebuilt?

Thanks, Tom

sure you can send it out but leaks are usually O-rings and bearings are just bearings. I dont think anything in there is press fit, Maybe the bearing races.....>>>?<<<

s-l640.jpg

Last edited:
sure you can send it out but leaks are usually O-rings and bearings are just bearings. I dont think anything in there is press fit.>>>?<<<

View attachment 1715882719

I've rebuilt quite a few, I've never seen a bearing like the one shown in the picture above... The bushing was only used in very early boxes... Certainly not in a 69 B body....

There are enough potential trouble spots unless your pretty skilled I'd either send it to firm feel (Best Option)

Or If your car drives okay & is just leaking I would try putting seals in after fifty years they are rock hard & will leak whether the bearings are good or not...

Both seals can be done with the box in the car... Sector shaft can be done by pulling the steering column out & working through the hole in the firewall.... Use a sharp punch to put a hole through the metal seal housing & thread in a drywall screw then use pliers to pop the seal out... Tap a new seal in using a properly sized socket & extension as a driver...

Hardest part of replacing the Pitman shaft seal is getting the pitman arm off....
Once thats done use a seal hook to pop the outer dust seal out, remove the snap ring then put a drain pan under the steering box, start the car & crank the steering to full lock.. The seal will pop right out... Again, use an appropriately sized socket as a driver, reassemble & refill the system...

That's a GREAT video. Sure wish I would have found that before sending my unit to Steer and Gear (and paying $330!!).

Before sending it to Steer and Gear I replaced the pinion shaft seal with the gear box in the car. Also replaced the input shaft seal while it was installed. Had to go through the hole in the firewall with a drill to put a small hole in the seal in order use a screw to draw out the seal. The pinion shaft seal started leaking AGAIN! So, I bit the bullet and sent it out.

Steer and Gear is a very good company with outstanding customer service. I had them give my Gear box the "sport" feel which is much tighter than factory.

Had I seen that video, I'm sure I would have tried it myself.

I pulled mine out; Even with the TTIs in there it was not a big deal. I did that to add reaction springs for better steering feel, and changed the seals as a matter of course. I did that, three times in one week, to get the box to behave like I wanted it to. After the pitman is off, it's just a roll-pin and three bolts.

EDIT; TTI Headers

Last edited:
-
Back