How hard is it to change out a rear wheel bearing on a 7 1/4 rear?

-

hoop

Reaction score
How hard is it to change out a rear wheel bearing on a 72 Dart 7 1/4 rear?

I have not got a lot of money to work with right now, I was thinking of taking one out of a parts 7 1/4 rear end that the housing is junk on that come from a 74 Scamp, would 74 bearings be same as 72?... I know I got to get new seal & gasket! What do I need to put it back in?

How hard is it to change out a rear wheel bearing on a 72 Dart 7 1/4 rear?

I have not got a lot of money to work with right now, I was thinking of taking one out of a parts 7 1/4 rear end that the housing is junk on that come from a 74 Scamp, would 74 bearings be same as 72?... I know I got to get new seal & gasket! What do I need to put it back in?
not sure if bearing is same but wha

not sure if bearing is same but I would think it should be. first of all check were the bearing rides if its scored at all change the axle to. get a new axle seal for sure they are cheap
to put the bearing in just start it with a block of wood if you don't have proper driver and tap it in
then tap seal in with a similar sized socket so it don't damage it. dab some grease on the seal area of axle and put it back together. hope that helps.

The bearing is pressed on the axle and held on with a collar. New bearings are cheap and come with a new collar. It cost me about $30 to get one pressed off and on. I would say swap the whole axle out of the parts rear if there the same bolt pattern, but don't think they would be.

The bearing is pressed on the axle and held on with a collar. New bearings are cheap and come with a new collar. It cost me about $30 to get one pressed off and on. I would say swap the whole axle out of the parts rear if there the same bolt pattern, but don't think they would be.
I was thinking of 8 1/4 for some reason. my mistake.

So the bearing is press on the axle, I may not can use the one out of my parts rear end wear bp not same, but may can use one if its good out of a very rusty 71 /6 Dart I have!

Last edited:
-
Back