How I Mounted 17" LX Rear Drive Wheels on My Cuda

-

Valkman

Reaction score
I mounted late model LX rear wheel drive wheels on My '65 Barracuda with somewhat easy modifications, and I thought I'd post on FAO on what I did to make them work. Considering I got this set of 17X7” aluminum wheels off an 06' Charger for just $120 on craigslist I felt this was a very economical choice to able a have good variety modern tires to help make my vintage ride handle much better that might be available for the factory 13's wheels or with 14's and 15's for that matter. I found on there's been some talk as that these wheels have a true 4 ½” (114.3mm) bolt circle, I can contest that they do, in fact that the 4 ½ “ bolt circle is very common on most Japanese 5 lug wheels. In case your wondering by now my car was already swapped out with 73' disc brakes and rear axle so it is now 4 ½”.

I found the best offset for a these 7” wide wheels for my car would be 4 ½”. These wheels have a 4 ¼” offset so I used a ¼” wheel spacers to get the desired results. These aluminum wheels have a thicker webbing where the lugs mount so I had to install ½ “ longer studs. The biggest problem I ran into was the concentric whole was too narrow to fit over my front spindles which are about 2 9/16” in diameter. I bought a 2 ½” metal hole saw to bore a bigger hole, I then used a die grinder to clean out the rest to achieve the needed clearance. I wasn't too concerned about them being “hub eccentric” because these wheels also use conical lug nuts which should keep the wheel centered on the hub.

Attachments

• Cutting Concentric.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 303
  • Grinding Concentric.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 296
This leaves a pretty ugly hole so I found some chrome wheel center (Mr. Gasket #1750) that cost me about $40 for the set on Ebay that covered the hole very nicely. I to drilled and tapped mounting holes and I also ground off some of the center's tabs so they would conform to the curvature of the wheel face.

Attachments

• wheel with hole.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 295
  • wheel center with decal.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 304
  • Mounting center on charger wheels.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 291
  • Wheel center mounted.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 305
I mounted 225/50-17 tires in the rear and 215/40-17 up front and I've had no clearance issue with this set up. It works out the rear tire diameters are same as the factory F78-14 and the fronts are slightly smaller lowering the front end a little.

Attachments

• Finished rear.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 308
  • finished side.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 313
  • wells rear.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 315
Nice, what size tires do you plan on running?

I typed as you posted the tires size sorry....

Just curious how you verified whether or not they're 5 x 114.3mm compared to a 5 x 115mm (which seems to be the listed bolt pattern for all Chargers, Challengers, etc.). I've heard that even this small of a difference has known to have pretty bad consequences in some cases. Although, sometimes people get lucky and there are exceptions.

Just curious how you verified whether or not they're 5 x 114.3mm compared to a 5 x 115mm (which seems to be the listed bolt pattern for all Chargers, Challengers, etc.). I've heard that even this small of a difference has known to have pretty bad consequences in some cases. Although, sometimes people get lucky and there are exceptions.

There's been a lot posted about this in FAO, and other member's have posted pictures on how the proper measuring gauge showing they are indeed the 114.3mm. They fit and center on the studs just fine no issues (IMO!!!).

-
Back