How long is my helmet good for?

-

RockinRobin

Reaction score
IHRA modified class. Snell sa2020. I'm thinking it is good until 2030. All I can find in IHRA rulebook is helmet must be snell sa2015 or newer.

From original post:
All I can find in IHRA rulebook is helmet must be snell sa2015 or newer.
Ya, after you edited your post.

Screenshot_20240114_181550_Firefox.jpg

Call your local track, and ask for the tech inspectors Email addy.

I had a new snell helmet that I used once then 5 years later was told at New England Dragway it was too old??

If foggy memory serves me right, Snell foundation up dates their standards every 5 years, so ( for arguments sake ) if your helmet is Snell 2015 standard, next up date is 2020, so ( again foggy memory ) rule book states that helmet must be current or previous standard; 2025 standard will render your 2015 standard helmet unusable.

Does this help?

If foggy memory serves me right, Snell foundation up dates their standards every 5 years, so ( for arguments sake ) if your helmet is Snell 2015 standard, next up date is 2020, so ( again foggy memory ) rule book states that helmet must be current or previous standard; 2025 standard will render your 2015 standard helmet unusable.

Does this help?
Snell Foundation says that helmets should be good for at least 10 years, but they RECOMMEND replacing them every 5 years. If my SA2020 is good until 2030 then I am fine with that, I just can't get anyone from the IHRA to come out and say it! I'm wondering if it is a bit of a scam like harness certification.

I "thought" you were good untill they said it must be the new Snell Date.
That make sense?

NHRARacer.com - NHRA RULES

NHRA rule book
General Regulations
Section 21 Page 46

It says:

SNELL 2015 expires 1/1/2027

SNELL 2020 expires 1/1/2032

I won't be the best source for some rules. I retired from racing a few years ago and haven't been keeping up with the rules like I use to.
That's great news! I'm sure IHRA would accept the NHRA standard. Thanks!!

Snell Foundation says that helmets should be good for at least 10 years, but they RECOMMEND replacing them every 5 years. If my SA2020 is good until 2030 then I am fine with that, I just can't get anyone from the IHRA to come out and say it! I'm wondering if it is a bit of a scam like harness certification.
It is.

Heck I thought they were good till you busted um open.

Heck I thought they were good till you busted um open.
I bought the best helmet I could afford when I started street riding my bike. Less than five years later, after never being on the ground, or hitting a roll bar, it was "no good".
When I stopped riding, I bought the cheapest, newest snell rated hat I could find, for the exact same reason I buy the cheapest belts I can find.
If I have to throw away perfectly good safety stuff cause of "rules" I'm spending as little as I can!

-
Back