how long should it take

-

wesgriffiths

Reaction score
I am getting a stroker small block build for my race car. I sent money to a mopar only shop in December expecting to have it early in the year and still nothing. The shop is supplying R block doing machine work and supplying all the parts to go inside then shipping it to me for assembly. Am I expecting to much to have had it back months ago,as of Monday he was still waiting for parts:violent1:

It took my motor about a month to get back from the machine shop. I had my block acid dipped and bored 30 over with all new plugs and my crank turned. I also had them order my pistons and assemble them. I understand yours will take longer since they are doing more but I would start really bugging them after 5 months.

What parts exactly is he waiting for, and what parts are there already? After this time, you need to insist on getting that info with not delays. Get that info so you can get a better picture.

In this amount of time they could have had it assembled and dyno tested too.

Yeah, you should call them and see what they have done so far.

Well I would take a trip out to the shop and see what's going on . Are the parts you using one off custom built ? That could delay the build , but 5 months ??

thanks for the replies,kind of what I was thinking too. It is some custom order stuff,diamond pistons and bullet cam but I didn't think even that should take this long

Certain cam cores are virtually impossible to find.

Pistons, not so much. Diamond is usually pretty prompt on delivery once ordered.

ask them to send u what they can now , so the assembly can begin. and if say the cam is the holdup , go to cam plan B or C , the horsepower might be what, 5 less (or the same)

Is it even possible to actually order and receive a "R" block from mopar?

Last year my engine sat at IMM stalled for 3 months while we kicked in every door we could think of trying to find a cam core for my babbit R3. I understand there are some cores out there now that would have fit mine, but at the time there were none to be had. Comp, Bullet, Predator, was just the short list..... Brian finally found a usable Crane cam from an old WOO program that would fit the bill. Depending on what deck height your block is can add more "creative" parts to be had. Hope they get your bullet to you soon! Keep us updated on what your doing.... I love a good small block build!

Is it even possible to actually order and receive a "R" block from mopar?

the last I checked maybe a month ago there were a couple 9" deck blocks still in warehouse P4876381AB IIRC 48 degree, 50mm cam tunnel, dry sump, small mains... other than that they went "NS1" last June.... code for no longer in production. We tried to order another 9.20 deck just to see if it would at least go on a backorder list, and it kicked it back.

If you are building a specialty engine package, the delay is what it is. If you want things faster, build something that's more mainstream. As noted waiting for hard parts, or locating usable bits takes time and can add to the cost. The example of the cam core is perfect. Someone had to make all those calls, talk to everyone, wait for them to look and get back, and arrange shipping and stuff. I do work accross the country and it's all via PC or phone, and it all takes time. So I'd just say have some patience and keep in touch with them weekly or bi-weekly.

R3 from Indy....... oh boy I bet that hurt!! what heads are going on this?

I just got my cam today from Bullet. I talked to them and placed the order in mid-May. They told me it would be at least two weeks and possibly 3, or even a shade longer. Like I stated, I got it today.

I would doubt they're waiting on the cam.

It sounds to me like the best thing to do is talk to them and see what's holding them up and try just as hard to get it- talk to them about it and if you find it first, let them know it's coming.

So the day finally came. I drove down to the border on the weekend to pick up my parts and dropped them off at my builder last night. It was quite a gong show with the shop doing the machine work,some his fault some part suppliers. Wrong lifter bushings,wrong Pistons,broken piston rings but finally everything is correct and here so the assembly can begin. R3 tall deck block with 4.10 bore 4.125 molnar crank,6.20 Callie's rods with je Pistons and a bullet cam topped with Indy 360-1 heads and intake. With any luck it will be on the Dyno next week:burnout:

Hey cool. If you can post a picture of the engine on a dinosaur (dino) that would be way cool. lol Good luck on the assembly.

pictures! pictures! pictures! .....and keep on the updates! Sounds like killer combo so far!

look on the bright side, if you had them build you a chebby it would need a rebuild by now

a lot of the guys I race with are cheby guys and they've told me to put that brand in,no thanks I don't like to replace the motor every year. Pushrods were ordered today and intake off to get machined so the ports line up. I will try get some pics up soon

-
Back