How many degrees...

-

bigtooth

Reaction score
..can I shim my pinion down? In other words I need to go down about 6* with the pinion, will a 6* shim fit? Also, theres a bunch offered on summit are they all the same as long as you have the width correct?

a couple things...

They make shims as big as 4*

You could stack them to obtain more, but only if the nipple on the spring protrudes enough to locate them and of corse the u bolts having enough thread, at least those are my requirements..

You may be doing whats called a 'cut and roll' where you remove the perches and then degree in the pinion by the rolling the housing forward/backward to get the desired pinion angle or 'nose down'

I will be doing the cut and roll on mine real soon..

No problem.

As for those shims, Im not always on top of whats new/latest parts available.

Give'em a shot, just keep in mind what I mentioned about the u bolts and locating the shims, or tighten the living **** outta them to compensate.

Typically around 2*-4* 'nose down' for a stockish/warmed up motor is good.
For drag race and depending on springs used, you may need up 6*'ish.

This for the street. Currently I have +1*, so maybe i'll try a 4* shim to get me to -3, Better chance of squeezing that in there the the 6* shim. Thanks again!

There's only one point where I differ.....and it ain't the nipples. heh

The specification for the U bolt nuts is only 45 LB FT. The reason for this is to allow the separate leafs of the spring pack to "slip" through the shock plate and the spring pad as the spring compresses and rebounds. If the U bolts are over tightened, this will clamp the leafs together solidly, and a LOT of the leaf spring action will be lost. No to mention it will make the the ride in the rear much harder since it will not allow the springs to operate properly.

There's only one point where I differ.....and it ain't the nipples. heh

The specification for the U bolt nuts is only 45 LB FT. The reason for this is to allow the separate leafs of the spring pack to "slip" through the shock plate and the spring pad as the spring compresses and rebounds. If the U bolts are over tightened, this will clamp the leafs together solidly, and a LOT of the leaf spring action will be lost. No to mention it will make the the ride in the rear much harder since it will not allow the springs to operate properly.

Like I said....it about locating them....if you cant, yet still wanna play...better do something else.

the leafs are not sliding very much, you're only clamping 4'' of the spring 'and at the center'

As for movement, theres about 3000 lbs working those springs, and around 1200lbs of torque twisting through the axles...depending on gear.

2*-4* negative should get ya in the ballpark. I run 4* on mine with no vibration. One more thing, and I'm sure you know, make sure your U joints are in good shape. If you still have the vibe, you might check wheel balance and drive shaft balance. Also check things like motor/trans mounts.

-
Back