How much clearance do I need?

-

swies

Wish I had more time.
Reaction score
Trying on some new skins. How close to the spring is too close?

IMG_0371.JPG

IMG_0372.JPG

Tis to close that is for sure :eek:

You will never know till you try it, run your max pressure and drive it around and check it out, if no marks drive it harder, lower pressure try again, you get the idea.

I thought so also. So if it is too close, can I run with spacers? I have 1/2" studs already. If I can run spacers, how thick is ok?

You can't take everybody word only because what works here might not work there, I had 275/60 on my car and they were close, every one that looked at them said they would rub and they never did, just drive it easy and if they rub it wont be hard enough to hurt the tire.

I thought so also. So if it is too close, can I run with spacers? I have 1/2" studs already. If I can run spacers, how thick is ok?

as long as the studs come through the wheel into the nut, what wheels?

Those are slicks or radial tires? Kind of look like slicks in the pic. My current slicks have slightly more clearance than that. Going down the track is no problem as they stand up and get narrower with rpm..... but around the pits and when (infrequent) I drive them on the street they rub on every corner.

The next pair I buy will be 1/2 or 1" narrower....

So after lots of measuring, I would need a 1/2" spacer to center the tire/wheel between the fender and the spring. Can I safely run a spacer that thick?

**** that's close !
I like at least 1/2" clearance everywhere. I`ve got 295 65 15 drag radials on a 68 barracuda fastback. I run 1/2" spacers because my wheel offset is wrong 1/2". I do have 3" long studs tho, w/ weld prostars, on a shortened TRUCK dana 60 w/ disc brakes. I have 3" offset , and 4" offset prostars, all 8" wide. 275 65 15 on the 3', 295`s on the 4" -w the spacers. I recon 3 1/2" offset would be perfect for me. but urs would probly be 4 or 4 1/2, on a stock width A body rear end. I have 3/4" offset spring hangers too, no way I COULDGET THE 295`S ON W/O THEM.
I would really like to have a set of 8 1/2" wide-15" wheels w/ a 3 1/2" back space, they would be perfect for my set up. but hey are rare , and usually a heavy wheel.

I like at least 1/2" clearance everywhere. I`ve got 295 65 15 drag radials on a 68 barracuda fastback. I run 1/2" spacers because my wheel offset is wrong 1/2". I do have 3" long studs tho, w/ weld prostars, on a shortened TRUCK dana 60 w/ disc brakes. I have 3" offset , and 4" offset prostars, all 8" wide. 275 65 15 on the 3', 295`s on the 4" -w the spacers. I recon 3 1/2" offset would be perfect for me. but urs would probly be 4 or 4 1/2, on a stock width A body rear end. I have 3/4" offset spring hangers too, no way I COULDGET THE 295`S ON W/O THEM.
I would really like to have a set of 8 1/2" wide-15" wheels w/ a 3 1/2" back space, they would be perfect for my set up. but hey are rare , and usually a heavy wheel.
These wheels are 15x7 with 4.25 bs. Ideally I would need the 15x7 with 3.5 or 3.75 bs but I haven't seen anything like that in my budget hence the question about the spacers.
Stock A body 8.25 '75 Dart.
But it is good to know others are using 1/2" spacer.
Do you know what brand/part number?

That's gonna rub BIG TIME. Those sidewalls are flexible and when you corner the wheel will move in and out on the tire causing the sidewall to scrub the spring.

So after lots of measuring, I would need a 1/2" spacer to center the tire/wheel between the fender and the spring. Can I safely run a spacer that thick?

You might need a 1/2" spacer to center the wheels but you probably only need another 5/16" to 3/8" to get them to clear the springs without rubbing, looks like you've already got about an 1/8". As far as safely, yes, you can run a spacer that thick as long as your have lug studs that are long enough and everything stays hubcentric. I'd prefer some aftermarket lug studs too, and since it appears you're racing you may already have those anyway. You should also check with your class rules to make sure you'll pass tech if you need to.

As for spacers, you should be able to use these, they're 8mm or about 5/16
2 | BILLET WHEEL SPACERS | 5X4.5= 5X114.3MM | 8MM | 70.5 | FORD LINCOLN MERCURY | eBay
or these if you want a a little more space to the spring, 10mm or about .4"
2 | BILLET WHEEL SPACERS | 5X4.5= 5X114.3MM | 10MM | 70.5 | FORD LINCOLN MERCURY | eBay

If you have BBP axles you might need to take a little sandpaper to the hub bore on the spacers, they're 70.5 and the registers on the BBP axles are usually ~71mm. But the spacers will be hub centric. Here's a set of 12mm spacers if you really want to center the wheels according to your measurements. I personally just try to run the spring clearance at the minimum I can get without rubbing, you typically need more clearance to the quarters than the springs because of the body movement.

2pcs CUSTOM Wheel Spacers Adapters 5X114.3 5X4.5 70.3 CB 1/2-UNF 12MM 0.472MM | eBay

You might need a 1/2" spacer to center the wheels but you probably only need another 5/16" to 3/8" to get them to clear the springs without rubbing, looks like you've already got about an 1/8". As far as safely, yes, you can run a spacer that thick as long as your have lug studs that are long enough and everything stays hubcentric. I'd prefer some aftermarket lug studs too, and since it appears you're racing you may already have those anyway. You should also check with your class rules to make sure you'll pass tech if you need to.

As for spacers, you should be able to use these, they're 8mm or about 5/16
2 | BILLET WHEEL SPACERS | 5X4.5= 5X114.3MM | 8MM | 70.5 | FORD LINCOLN MERCURY | eBay
or these if you want a a little more space to the spring, 10mm or about .4"
2 | BILLET WHEEL SPACERS | 5X4.5= 5X114.3MM | 10MM | 70.5 | FORD LINCOLN MERCURY | eBay

If you have BBP axles you might need to take a little sandpaper to the hub bore on the spacers, they're 70.5 and the registers on the BBP axles are usually ~71mm. But the spacers will be hub centric. Here's a set of 12mm spacers if you really want to center the wheels according to your measurements. I personally just try to run the spring clearance at the minimum I can get without rubbing, you typically need more clearance to the quarters than the springs because of the body movement.

2pcs CUSTOM Wheel Spacers Adapters 5X114.3 5X4.5 70.3 CB 1/2-UNF 12MM 0.472MM | eBay
Good to know. I ordered the 12 mm set and they should be at my door Saturday.
I do have 1/2"x3" studs already and tech is ok with it for my bracket.
Thanks for the help!

-
Back