how much hp will a 8.8 hold?

-
I think it would be very similar to the 8 1/4" Mopar rear being the pinions are the same size (1.625).

in my oppinoin i think they are junk my friend is a ford guy and i cant tell you how many times we have walked an axle out of that thing just go with an 8 3/4

It's not the hp, it's the tires. If you run sticky tires, and a 4sp, and it's all stock, it wont last too long above 350hp. If it's an auto, with better parts and axles, I'd think 400-450 would be ok. I'd still use an 8 3/4 tho...

The late model mustang boys use that rear and there are parts to eliminate the c clip axles. The tubes have been known to spin in the third member. The only advantage is that they are available and cheaper than an 8-3/4, but 350 hp is about all you would want to push through a stock one, even that is on the edge.

8.8? Why not a 9 inch, parts are easier to find.

What did it come out of, does it bolt right in an abody?

At least being Ford, the bolt pattern is ok.

I would bet an 8.25 from a 1973-76 abody would be an easier swap.

How much power does your engine make, or are you planning on?

:)

cavemanmoron said:
8.8? Why not a 9 inch, parts are easier to find.

What did it come out of, does it bolt right in an abody?

At least being Ford, the bolt pattern is ok.

I would bet an 8.25 from a 1973-76 abody would be an easier swap.

How much power does your engine make, or are you planning on?

:)

350hp? An 8.25 will take that with no problem. Just do a proper rebuild and you should be fine. I wouldn't bother with an 8.75 until you get up into the 450-500hp range. Check the article:

Mopar Muscle Article

I am going a few steps further than the article went:

1) Welding the axle tubes.

2) Using Moser C-clip Axles.

3) Installing a post-97 SureGrip (29 spline vs old type 27).

4) Studding the carrier caps

5) Welding 1/2" angle steel to the axle tubes from the carrier to the spring perch, "just in case" I ever move to a mild stroker.

66dartman said:
The late model mustang boys use that rear and there are parts to eliminate the c clip axles. The tubes have been known to spin in the third member. The only advantage is that they are available and cheaper than an 8-3/4, but 350 hp is about all you would want to push through a stock one, even that is on the edge.

The 8.8 is one strong unit. A buddy of mine has a Mustang that runs 9.30's with a 1.38 60' time with an 8.8. He launches the car off a trans brake so he hits the rear end hard. He uses Strange 30 spline axles and a spool but plans on going back to a dif for next year when he swaps from a supercharged 347 to a nitrous feed 408.

Also, keep in mind that Gen I Lightnings came stock with 8.8s with Posi-Trac and 4.10s. Those trucks also had a pretty stout factory shift kit. I have seen Turbo Gen Is with 450+ RWHP on the dyno with a full factory driveline (although that might be pushing it). My friend has a stock '93 he bought NEW. It has 157,000 miles on it, and he has had zero issues, and he drives it HARD...EVERY DAY. These trucks had 240hp & 330 ft/lbs, but Ford neglected to tell people that was measured at the tires, not the flywheel. So figure they are probably about 300hp at the crank.

Bottom line, the 8.8 can take 350hp EASY, but the 8.25 will too, and it'll be cheaper for you to do .

291660.jpg

-
Back