how much hp

-

my72dart

Reaction score
how much hp do i need to get high 11 low 12. out of my 72 dart swinger.weight of the car with me in it is a tad under 3000

HP is only part of the equation, since you have to be able to get that power to the pavement reliably. With slicks, a very well set up suspension, and consistent driving habits, you should be able to run low 12's with about 300 ponies to the rear wheels in a car that's under 3000 lbs. I'm sure some of the more experienced racers will chime in here. :)

Less then you think. I estimate my sons Dart to weigh at least 3500 with him in the car and maybe even 3600. It figures to make about 500 HP at the flywheel and about 425 at the wheels and its run 11.60's so far. I figured it needed about 350 to the wheels to touch the high 11's or low 12's so we went for a little more. I agree that if it weighs in under 3000 lbs that 300 at the wheels which would be 375 to 400 at the crank should get low 12's to high 11's with good hookup. Ron

OK, so assuming you can keep the tires from spinning and get all of the "rear wheel horsepower" to the ground, has anyone seen anything to indicate how much HP (% or # of ponies) can be expected to be lost between the flywheel and the rear wheels?

I seem to recall something a while back saying 50-100 HP loss, depending on clutch/tranny condition, etc.

Bob

If you have a purpose built 1/4 mile car, around 375 hp at the crank will do it. If you have a street car (radials, tight suspension, street gearing and convertor, etc) then you may need a little more.

My car has ran a best of 11.78 @ 118 in track trim. On the dyno in street trim it made 284 hp @ 5250 and 305 ftLB @ 4687. Street trim = remove electric water pump drive and electric fan, install clutch fan and shroud, add 2 1/2” tail pipes to the 3” H pipe and mufflers, replace race clutch with street clutch, change rear end gears to 3.91s from 5.13s, Stock air cleaner, move battery from trunk to under the hood. My car is 3100 lbs.

I think my dyno numbers are low, but I know what the car runs so what the hell, its only a number.

-
Back