How much Paint

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
I have a few questions on paint. I have decided on either this paint kit or this paint kit by TCP global. I am not sure the difference to be honest, but I emailed them to find out.

My question is how much paint would I need for a 70 dart engine bay, jams, under hood and under trunk? I don't mind buying the gallon, but the rest of the car isn't going to be shot for sometime due to body work needing to be done.

If I bought the gallon will the leftover unmixed paint be OK to store, if so how long?

Thanks, everyone!

I have a few questions on paint. I have decided on either this paint kit or this paint kit by TCP global. I am not sure the difference to be honest, but I emailed them to find out.

My question is how much paint would I need for a 70 dart engine bay, jams, under hood and under trunk? I don't mind buying the gallon, but the rest of the car isn't going to be shot for sometime due to body work needing to be done.

If I bought the gallon will the leftover unmixed paint be OK to store, if so how long?

Thanks, everyone!
Normally what I would buy for that amount of area is 1qt of base, 1qt of clear. Now the mix ratio for the paint I use is base- 1:1 & clear 4:1 I use PPG What you want to get is plenty. The extra should keep. Make sure it doesn't freeze & you will have mix it really well when you spray the base again. The metallic will settle to the bottom. Just remember when it comes to paint material you get what you pay for. I never sprayed TCP global paint before so I have no idea how the base covers. I would say either one will be fine. Spray what you want & then see how much is left. Then you will know if you need more or not. Spray at least 4 coats of base & make the last one a mist coat with a little more air pressure & the gun further away. This helps the metallic to lay down right.

Normally what I would buy for that amount of area is 1qt of base, 1qt of clear. Now the mix ratio for the paint I use is base- 1:1 & clear 4:1 I use PPG What you want to get is plenty. The extra should keep. Make sure it doesn't freeze & you will have mix it really well when you spray the base again. The metallic will settle to the bottom. Just remember when it comes to paint material you get what you pay for. I never sprayed TCP global paint before so I have no idea how the base covers. I would say either one will be fine. Spray what you want & then see how much is left. Then you will know if you need more or not. Spray at least 4 coats of base & make the last one a mist coat with a little more air pressure & the gun further away. This helps the metallic to lay down right.

Much appreciated. A few people have used it on here withe good reviews. The paint and the clear are both mixing at 1:1 according to the tech sheets. I am going to check with my local paint supplier also for a price comparison. I don't want the cheapest paint, but also not looking for a show stopper. This will be my first time painting.

I bought my paint only from these guys 1970 Dodge Charger, Plum Crazy, Paint Code # C7 and used this clear Southern Polyuerthanes, Inc.
Used a gallon of paint on my 1968 Dart. No hood, roof or engine bay but I did do inside the trunk, jambs and interior of doors and rear window area. Pretty much used the entire gallon so I would plan on two. Price mine at a few local paint supplies and they were at least double..

I bought my paint only from these guys 1970 Dodge Charger, Plum Crazy, Paint Code # C7 and used this clear Southern Polyuerthanes, Inc.
Used a gallon of paint on my 1968 Dart. No hood, roof or engine bay but I did do inside the trunk, jambs and interior of doors and rear window area. Pretty much used the entire gallon so I would plan on two. Price mine at a few local paint supplies and they were at least double..

After doing some more research, I am definitely going with the SPI universal clear and their epoxy. Their tech sheets are very detailed, which is great for a beginner like myself. I think I am going to start with a gallon for the bay, under the hood, jams, under the trunk, trunk gutter, and maybe in the trunk. That way all that will be done and I can get more when I am ready for the actual body.

Still not sure on what brand base I want to use.

My clear came out amazing. Only had to sand out a few bits of dust in it but no need to wet sand, cut and buff it. Mine was my first and only car I ever painted. Was on a tight budget so I went with the UreKem/Spi and have no complaints. Took a body shop class at the local school and went for it.

My clear came out amazing. Only had to sand out a few bits of dust in it but no need to wet sand, cut and buff it. Mine was my first and only car I ever painted. Was on a tight budget so I went with the UreKem/Spi and have no complaints. Took a body shop class at the local school and went for it.

Awesome. That is encouraging. Did you feel like the paint was good quality? I can't seem to find just a gallon of Plum Crazy on the Urekem site, just the kits with the clear.

I would buy enough paint for the whole car-finished product. The issue is buying the same color later may not be the same color. There can be subtle variations is you batch mix paint at different times.

Awesome. That is encouraging. Did you feel like the paint was good quality? I can't seem to find just a gallon of Plum Crazy on the Urekem site, just the kits with the clear.

Yes, seemed good to me but having only painted on car I really don't have a clue on paint quality. I know you will get a lot if people saying you get what you pay for or only use such and such brand. Have heard that UreKem are guys from House of Kolor but don't know that to be true either. I can say, not to brag, the car looks amazing, people rave about the color and how great it looks. My buddy is a Meguiars trained tech and cant get over how good it looks. Entered two car shows and won two judges choice awards, so others seem to like it too.
You might have to call on the gallon only option, I paid about $100.00 a gallon. I also used there matte black it on the hood and it came out great also.

Last edited:
Yes, seemed good to me but having only painted on car I really don't have a clue on paint quality. I know you will get a lot if people saying you get what you pay for or only use such and such brand. Have heard that UreKem are guys from House of Kolor but don't know that to be true either. I can say, not to brag, the car looks amazing, people rave color and how great it looks. My buddy is a Meguiars trained tech and cant get over how good it looks. Entered two car shows and won two judges choice awards, so others seem to like it too.
You might have to call on the gallon only option, I paid about $100.00 a gallon. I also used there matte black it on the hood and it came out great also.

Much appreciated! I will give them a call on the per gallon price. I think what @DesertRat said is a good idea, buy what the whole car will take now. From what I have been told unmixed (no reducers) paint will last at room temperature for quite some time (years, I think) I'll be sure to ask when I call.

I called TCP Global to get some info and the guy that answered seemed less than sure about his product or the answers to my questions. SPI one the other hand was very knowledgeable.

Much appreciated! I will give them a call on the per gallon price. I think what @DesertRat said is a good idea, buy what the whole car will take now. From what I have been told unmixed (no reducers) paint will last at room temperature for quite some time (years, I think) I'll be sure to ask when I call.

I called TCP Global to get some info and the guy that answered seemed less than sure about his product or the answers to my questions. SPI one the other hand was very knowledgeable.
Yes it can happen. When I bought the paint for my barracuda I just bought a qt. to do the engine bay. Then about a year later a bought a gallon to do the rest of the car. It ended up being a shade off. I ended up having over a grand in just paint material.

Buy enough color to do the entire job and intermix the cans before you start to paint anything. It's best to use the same brand base and clear to avoid any compatibility or adhesion problems. Unmixed color will last a long time as will unopened activator. Opened activator has a relatively short shelf life. A few/6 months. I don't take the chance on ending up with a non-catalyzed gummy mess. Urethanes won't dry if the activator is shot.

-
Back