How much play in this pivot point is normal

-

AZ-Nick

Reaction score
While adjusting the kick down linkage I noticed something that has me concerned if it is normal or not. While moving the vertical rod #10 (red arrow) up or down I am looking down at the pivot point (red circle) and I notice the there is a movement of at least 1/4” back and forth sliding on the pin it is mounted too before any rotation! The FSM doesn’t show any bushing or sleeve.
Is there any adjustment with the nut on the shaft to take up the slack? I’ve also tried to get a picture of the pivot point and the slack on the shaft and a picture of the pivot point without the slack as I move the vertical rod upward.
I have all 3 gears manually shifting
I have all 3 gears automatically shifting up and back down while driving normally.
I don’t have any 3 to 2 down shift when punching the throttle at any speeds.
I am wondering if this could be part of the problem.

IMG_4751.jpeg

IMG_4752.jpeg

IMG_4753.jpeg

Last edited:
Those green circles looked like the pivot to the pivot bolt in and out. That’s not concerning. Take the clip out and shim the clip with washers.

If you mean the play is in the red then follow that rod to #2 and there should be adjustment there. That ball joint connection pops apart.

Thats the kickdown linkage. A little slop there wont hurt a thing as long as you adjust it properly. Make sure its fully applied at full throttle.

Those green circles looked like the pivot to the pivot bolt in and out. That’s not concerning. Take the clip out and shim the clip with washers.
Thanks , that’s what my concern was, the back and forth slop on the shaft. That slop takes up some of the vertical movement of the shaft #10 that I need to adjust. I will be under the car this weekend to make sure the KD Lever is turned out to the stop when I adjust the vertical rod.

Thats the kickdown linkage. A little slop there wont hurt a thing as long as you adjust it properly. Make sure it’s fully applied at full throttle.
Thanks I will be adjusting it this weekend.
Is there any way I can hold the KD Lever on the trans to the engage position so I can get up from the floor and adjust the vertical rod, knowing that it is fully engaged. I am alone as a one person working on this, I am wondering if it takes 2 people to get this adjusted correctly.

Disconnect the KD rod at point 2, then, with one hand, push the KD rod as far as it will go, then with the other, open the throttle all the way. See if the KD rod lines up with the throttle linkage ball where the KD hooks on to. If not, lengthen or shorten the KD rod, whichever it needs.

There's also the service manual method, in which you put a 3/8 inch rod onto a hole in the throttle/kickdown bracket, then hook things up. That works, of course, unless there's slop in the pivot or something else which doesn't let the trans lever (#11) open all the way. My shade tree method at least will tell you that.

to answer your original question, yes 1 person can do it, but to actually get it right you need two. First put somebody behind the wheel to floor the accelerator and adjust the carb linkage so the blades inside are vertical. Then have the accelerator wide open while you adjust the kickdown at the trans to be wide open at the same time. Then it is trial and error for fine tuning shift points using the adjustment of the kickdown rod at the carb.

-
Back