How much should I pay for Tuff wheel, button and adapter?

-

JoesEdge

Reaction score
So, I found a MOPAR tuff wheel with horn button and adapter complete set for sale for about $350.00 shipped. He says it's bolt and go! The guy selling it sounds very MOPAR knowledgeable.

I'm just trying to get a feel for if this is a good price or not. My gut says I can get a better price. I don't know if I should jump on it, or not? It's not like these things grow on trees.

It's an intra-state deal so that makes me cautious.

Dales Cuda parts sell nice repos.Hard to find a very nice original what kind of shape is it in???

Seems a little high unless it's in super nice shape and has the 1971 only padded horn button, not to be confused with the mid to late 70's padded horn button.

It looks like it's in pretty good shape. He's got 3 of them. Of course, I'm only going by pictures alone.

Yeah, I know the steering wheels are reproduced, but the adapter isn't. Those seem to go for about 125 bucks on Ebay, but everything on Ebay is overpriced.

I'm thinking I should probably pass since I have other things on my "wish list".

It is hard to find a nice original tuff wheel. I would have to take a look at it first. Some of the repop's are nice and some aren't. Just do your homework and get the better version. You are right about the adaptor. I just sold one for $100 and they still can be found at that price. You just have jump on them when they come up. Good Luck!

Whats the part number on the adapter kit?
Why is it special?

It is hard to find a nice original tuff wheel. I would have to take a look at it first. Some of the repop's are nice and some aren't. Just do your homework and get the better version. You are right about the adaptor. I just sold one for $100 and they still can be found at that price. You just have jump on them when they come up. Good Luck!

Yeah, the adapter is what I was initially looking for but then when I found the set then I wondered if it was worth it.

Whats the part number on the adapter kit?
Why is it special?

The adapter is an original Chrysler part, but I don't know the part number. What's special about it? I guess it's because it acts like a spacer for the "flat-ish" steering wheels. Other than that, I don't know but it's just made to work and that's good enough by me, I guess.

Pic of the Grant , and Tuff

Attachments

• Steering wheel 1 (640x480).jpg
    119 KB · Views: 175
  • K0484_002131_0020_IM000715.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 178
My brother ("blu340dart") buys tuff wheels all the time, I think he's hooked on them, and the first thing he does is to check whether the grip is still tight on the rim or can be twisted with your hands! I'm also pretty sure that $350 is way high as he would never pay anywhere near that, even for the best of examples! Heck, maybe PM him through the board, I'm sure he has one, or 10 to sell!! Geof

Any time I find an adapter for under $80, I buy it.

Wheels are harder to judge in pics, but $100-$150 is not terrible for a nice one.

To me there are "degrees" of quality for OEM wheels.

I'm still interested if the grip is loose, but the foam is intact.

I'm even still interested if there are minor digs at the backside.

IIRC, from the factory, there was a shiny, almost clearcoat on the surface.

Sometimes it wears almost completely away, leaving a soft, even texture.
I like those better than a partially worn wheel.
(This also may be a year of manufacture thing, not sure)

The horn button and contact ring are kinda easy to find from E body cars.
I say $20 max on those.

So, I'm at $250 for what I consider a "good deal" on a relatively nice one, but maybe not perfect, as part of a complete set.

$350 is not terribly out of line, if it's complete and really, really nice.

The only real deal killers for me are missing foam at the spokes (usually the left one), severe rusting of the metal (although I'd consider one if that was the only issue), and large chunks of foam missing from the face or sides.

I do have a DCS wheel, and mine has slightly narrower in diameter and much firmer foam than the OEM. Still a nice wheel, though.

If you are going to pay $350 for one it should be a real nice wheel with no loose foam grip or any pieces missing anywhere, especially at the spokes-those 2 items are the hardest to find on most wheels. Also the spokes should be clean with no rust issues or wear marks. The plastic caps are dime a dozen and very easy to come across, the padded ones are less common out there but have a plastic ring that tends to peel. There are 3 different adapters, the E-body ribbed style and the smooth/shorter A, B, F body style-both these types have a master spline. The truck style matches the shorter smooth one but has no master spline. I guess I gave away a short adapter at the last swap meet for $30-oh well. A friend of mine had a super nice wheel a few years ago before he died and wanted $300 for just the wheel and it was worth every penny as it was that nice-just not for me at that price :) So if you are looking at a $300+ wheel make sure it is worth your money and your happy.

Thanks for all the insight guys.

I ended up passing on the wheel deal. But, I did pick up an adapter on Ebay from a guy in Modesto, CA. Maybe a little pricey at 125 shipped, but not too way off the mark especially since it's "shipped" price. I figured that maybe I'll find a wheel at the Spring Fling in April. Stuff like this isn't too easy to find in California.

I do know a guy local (like 5 minutes way) that has a Barracuda wheel in beautiful condition with horn button for 100 bucks (that price was probably since I was a local MOPAR enthusiast), but that ideally belongs on a Barracuda.

-
Back