How One Breaks Out the Ice in 2020

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Plastic Crap

DSC07474.JPG

just about every refrigerator sold here in the US in the last 30 years comes with an icecube maker build in

poke.gif

just about every refrigerator sold here in the US in the last 30 years comes with an icecube maker build in

View attachment 1715529402
Iv never had one to work longer than a month or two. We bought a new fridge when I bought my first house and the ice maker lasted a few months. So I repaired it and it lasted a few months again. After that I said screw it. When I bought my new trailer it came with a new fridge with an ice maker and it did the same thing lol after the 3rd repair on it I gave up! The little spinner that pops the ice out kelt getting out of time and would be in the water when it froze so when it spun it would burn up the motor. After three motors and countless gears i said screw it. We buy bagged ice now.

Not everyone has a ice maker water feed into the fridge corner. I'd have to run a 20 foot 3/8 copper line under my sub-floor to reach the fridge opposite the sink. I grew up with the aluminum ones that had a lever on top that would pop the ice out when you pulled the lever, lasted at least 18 years until I went to boot camp, probably 10 years before that.
il_570xN.1587353637_boj9.jpg

Bought a bigger fridge years ago. Looked at many different brands. They all had icemakers in them. They took up the 'premium space' in the freezer. So we ordered one without an icemaker. It cost us an ADDITIONAL $100 and we had to wait 3 weeks to get it. I'm still glad we did it.

There's always a possibility of a future leak, and unless you use ice on a regular basis, the water in the line can get stale.

Yes I remember the aluminum ice trays. You had to run them under warm water for a few seconds to get them to 'crack open'.

Delivering appliances in the mid 80's Ice makers were just becoming the "thing." I can't tell you how many times people would get mad when we hooked it up and didn't instantly have ice. True story. Little did I know that man had finally altered physics (or so people thought lol....)

JW

Iv never had one to work longer than a month or two. We bought a new fridge when I bought my first house and the ice maker lasted a few months. So I repaired it and it lasted a few months again. After that I said screw it. When I bought my new trailer it came with a new fridge with an ice maker and it did the same thing lol after the 3rd repair on it I gave up! The little spinner that pops the ice out kelt getting out of time and would be in the water when it froze so when it spun it would burn up the motor. After three motors and countless gears i said screw it. We buy bagged ice now.

We bought a side by side fridge with the ice and water dispenser in the freezer door. It lasted about 4 years and took a dump! The cost to fix it is almost as much as a new fridge! :eek: We've got an ice machine at work that spits out Zaxby's ice....so every few days I bring a cooler full home. :)

View attachment 1715529402
Well I live here in the US, sorta. I have 2 refrigerator's and neither ice cube maker work.. And the appliance repair people here aren't smart enough to repair it. . Unfortunately I'm not smart enough either.

I got so pissed at the ice maker in my side-by-side I bought a new fridge. The maker was leaking all over the floor, would only work when it felt like it, and didn't clean out the ice from the bottom of the hopper so those cubes got old and mangy tasting. I had to buy up several models to get one with no ice a maker at all but it was well worth it. If you need good ice cube trays get the factory ones with a lid from Fisher and Paykel. Spendy at $10 each but they work like they should.

I remember one style that you would turn upside down in the same rectangular container and release the cubes so gravity would let them fall right in-no mess, no fuss.

-
Back