How Pro Stock Started With Herb McCandless

-
It is just over an hour long but great stories about the old days of drag racing.

Just a great interview

Wishing I was alive for that stuff (still)

I've watched a YouTube channel called hotrod hoarder, it's a younger guy he's a historian & finds people with cool old race cars & dudes who have alot of ****. Today I watched the "Tennessee thunder" 71 s/s demon. Really makes me want to get a cheap (yeah right) 70-72 duster & change the tail light panel & put my 70 dart front end on it & make one of those demons

Thanks for posting, very good stuff.
So many dedicatd and talented people.
Life in general, was a lot different back then in so many ways.

Herb is a great guy. I remember driving from east coast VA to his NC shop not long before the shop closed. I was a nobody looking for small block advice. He took time to talk to me and also introduced me to Ken Lazzeri. I was allowed to enter Ken's sterile big block building bay. :) Impressive! They both gave me the wisdom I needed. I also later had them do some machine work which was excellent. Great MOPAR people for sure!

just got done watching all 4 of these 1 hour long youtubes on herb maccandless! loved it,just wish i was alive when all this went down!!

I've got friends who grew up with Billy Glidden.
Fond memories of getting run out of Bob's shop when we were caught snooping in there.

Those were the days. These guys are held in the highest regard even today. The guys up till the late 90s are a special breed. Even a few in the modern era. Kim

Herb walked me thru a W2 360 build back in 95 . He introduced me to Norris rocker arms and Tubular Automotive headers ... told me which cam to run as well as compression .... . Super nice guy !
He mentioned that he was involved in the devopement of the W2.

That car rocked !

-
Back