How rare is this and what's it worth?

-
What's wrong with an interview?
It would probably work out to your favor after you tell the guy what you have posted for us to read.
I bet he doesn't want a Jesse James type of guy that is going to make a rocket launcher out of it or a 4X4.

Wow! If this really is your dream car then you should try to get it. Of course you want to pay a price that is fair for both the seller and you.

This is an interesting car as a convertible with it's original HI-po power train but it is NOT a Hemi car and will NEVER be worth a lot of money because it's only a Dart - I know we love them but the re-sale value will always be pretty reasonable.

I wouldn't be offended buy the "interview", probably just means he's attached to his car, plus he might have been pestered for years by people that want to buy it for nothing. Seller might also have been watching the auctions on speed channel too.

The fair value is the problem. The car doesn't run and might have been parked 'cause of a problem maybe an expensive problem. See ToolManMike's 273 Commando (Charger) rebuild, I think it ran him $3000, so that would be a "worst case" and it's just the engine. A top installed is at least $600 and might run to $1000. Start adding a few more items like brakes just to make it usable and you're talking about a lengthy and very expensive proposition - it is up to you to decide if it's worth it but you need to be realistic on the effort and cost. Buying a non-running car is VERY risky, so it is really hard to put a value on it.

I'll stick my neck out here and everyone else can straighten me out but I'm thinking that if I really loved it I would pay $5500... maybe $6000 for this car but ONLY as a solid running and driving car that I could use right now, that means it would have a decent top on it, good brakes and safe steering too and no major rust issues. And if it looks a bit shabby that's OK with me, but probably means I've paid more than it might sell for in the open market or on eBay, so if I HAD to sell it in an emergency I would lose money (isn't love grand?). I also think that to restore it; body, paint, interior, etc - but not to NOS national show standards - would take a lot more than it would ever be worth.

I'm also thinking that you're probably the right guy for this car. Just being on this board shows an interest and we'd all love to help.

If I find a vehicle that has got "good bones" and just isn't running or has one or more mechanical defects but is straight and rust-free.....I will and HAVE paid quite a bit more than the current street value. When I want something and have to have it....I can only TRY and push the owner's price down a bit, knowing full well in the back of my mind that I will pay his asking. I've paid people's asking price quite a bit, especially when the fear of losing out on a one-in-a-million chance comes along.

Actually, this car sounds almost like a one-in-a-million car, what with your desired color combo, engine option, 4-speed and convertible. If I can't get an owner to budge on price, I'll at least grovel for $100 or so off to help pay for my gas. :D

So some of you guys are telling me that if you had a chance at a HEMI, 440-6, or whatever your dream car might be, but had to be "interviewed" you'd pass it up??????
Now that's CRAZY rite there!!!!!!

I have always been told that a value of an item is determind by two things.. what the seller is asking, and what the buyer is willing to pay.

in this case.. if YOU think it's worth the price buy it. if not walk away or make a lower offer.. either way.. you'll know you did what was the right thing for you.

by the way, i just bought a 71 duster off ebay, just knew i would regret it.. when it came in , i found it has a 30 over 318, holley intake, 277 cam,balanced, crank was polished, heads decked and polished cc'd to 57cc, sadly it had blown a head gasket and someone let it set with water in it.. i think i can bring it bacck to life.. but it's gonna take some time.. do i think i got ripped off? NAW.. it's a rust free Arizona car.. it was worth a lot more than i gave for it.. besides,, it's now mine, and i get to do it my way.. after all isn't that what it's all about?

I would pass on the interview. Just give me his number and I'll call him and tell him your not interested !!!! LOL

Don't let the fact that it's your "dream car" make you over pay for the car. Like has been said before, it's very easy to get swept up and pay to much.

As far as the interview, my buddy has been trying to sell a car for six months now. Only person interested enough to come look at the car got broomed out of the garage for having a shitty attitude and trying to low ball him. My buddy told him he would burn the car to the ground before he would sell it to him!!!! The look on that guy's face was worth waiting another six months for!

It sounds like this guy wants his baby to go to a good home to someone who will appreciate it as much as he obviously does. I'll guarantee if someone goes there and starts talking about wheel tubs, big block, gigonda tires and wheels, custom paint/interior, etc. He'll pull out a shotgun to make him leave the premises faster.

If this really is your dream car, then I would do your homework before you go to the interview. If you appear very knowledgeable and appreciative of the car just the way it is, you'll have a good chance of buying it for a fair price. You will probably know within the first 10 seconds of seeing the car if this is the one for you.

Just apperaing knowledgeable will go a long way like saying: "This has an 8-3/4 rear end with 3.23 gears right?" "Does it have the optional Kelsey Hayes disc brakes?" "It still has the resonator tip? Wow, I was hoping it was still there!" "Does it still have the finned valve covers?" "I always liked the 67 Darts because...." will show that you know what you are talking about and that you like the car as much as he does. It sounds like he's more interested in a new nanny for his baby than the amount of dollars he can sell it for. Just friendly small talk, intelligent questions about the car, enthusiasm and appreciation will go a long way towards sealing the deal.

Other than the 383, a 273-4 was the hottest engine for the 67 Darts. A convertible is more valuable than a hardtop and a 4 speed is worth more than an automatic. Generally, I think the price books say 10% more for a 4 speed. But you don't tell him all that if you're trying to get the best price you can. Without seeing any production figures, I'd say less than 300 67 Darts, 273-4, 4 speed convertible Darts were built.

I belive a 67 Dart GT vert with the Charger 273 and a 4 speed is in the double digit production figures

What's wrong with an interview?
It would probably work out to your favor after you tell the guy what you have posted for us to read.
I bet he doesn't want a Jesse James type of guy that is going to make a rocket launcher out of it or a 4X4.

I heard that! :)

c34bcfab-7fab-4374-99d1-53a7956cfbd3.jpg

Well, I went and looked at the car yesterday. Its an original paint, original drivetrain, original interior car. It has all trim except the drivers side rocker moulding. Its unbelieveably complete considering its condition. Even the grille is in perfect condition. The only parts its missing other than the rocker moulding is one hubcap, the carb, and air cleaner. It has bucket seats and console, and the Kelsey Hayes disc brakes with an extra set of rotors and calipers.

The bad:
It hasnt ran in over 30 years
It needs both full quarters, quarter extensions, rockers, floor pans, and the convertible top boot "drip rails".
The drivers side tail light bezel is broken.
Were talking $25,000 worth of body work here, not to mention a total rebuild of the drivetrain and running gear.

When I looked the car over, I was thinking $2500-3000. The guy wants $5000 for the car. I "could" afford to buy the car at that price, but Im not exactly in the best finacial condition right now. Plus, I have absolutley nowhere to store it right now. I thought about calling him back up to offer him $3500 for it, but I still dont have anywhere to store it for the next 10-20 years. Its really hard for me to pass this up because i know ill NEVER run across a car like this in this combination ever again. Ill post some pictures shortly.

Walk away, with that much rust you willbe buried money wise in that car.

That sounds like a parts car - He'll have trouble getting $2000 for it.
At least you checked it out.
And you can also wait, in 6 to 12'months you can see if he still has it and buy it for what it is really worth.

Is the car named Christine?:cheese:

If the car has structural problems, frame is shot I would turn around and run in the other direction. If the car was free it would not do it for me.

This is not the only 67 Dart convertible on the face of the planet. Better to pony up a couple more grand and get one that does not need to be re-created.

Too bad.
I had my hopes up that is was in better condition.
Bummer.......

GG White book

1967 Dart GT 273-4 2645 produced

Hardtop/convertable 273-4/4 speed - 947 produced

No further breakdown between the hardtop and the convertable numbers

Fairly rare car

GG White book

1967 Dart GT 273-4 2645 produced

Hardtop/convertable 273-4/4 speed - 947 produced

No further breakdown between the hardtop and the convertable numbers

Fairly rare car

It's funny how every society is based around scarcity. The moment something is considered rare(scarce), everyone wants it, at least with things like precious metals such as gold or platinum.

In the car world however, just because there are only a few examples left does not necessarily make it valueable through scarcity. It has to be something somebody wants(desirable).

All it takes is that one person willing to pay what the owner wants, until that happens it's exact value is not really known. The owner of this convertible is hoping to score a large sum of money for a worn out rusty mess in hopes someone assigns a value to it based on it's scarcity.

While they have not found a way to spin gold from straw yet, they do know how to make diamonds which are almost indistinguishable from ones naturally occuring. This has an effect on the value of real diamonds when one can own a copy for a fraction of the price.

Same can be said of muscle cars, if you want a 273 4/4 convertible and don't want to pay the jeweler's ransom for it, you merely create one from a lesser optioned convertible and then enjoy the car as if it came that way. Miss Belvedere(google Tulsa, OK 57 Fury) is considered rare as it is the only time capsule 57 Fury known to exist but their is not a line of buyers trying to procure it. Yes, Tulsa buried a 57 Fury in a time capsule and then unearthed it a couple of years ago.

A car is a terrible investment as it will always need maintenance due to use and decay, plus it can be destroyed through a mishap. Starting with a sound chassis and body and building it up would be cheaper than buying a used up numbers matching car for big money and trying to rebody it anyway. Plus the money sunk into it will most likely be much higher than the value the market place will assign to it when you sell it.

A numbers matching hemi powered Daytona or Superbird is almost a no-brainer as long as the math adds up but most old car purchases are not like that.

Also, respectfully to the OP if you do not have a place to store it, the price is not really the issue. Best advice, do not allow your car collection to grow larger than your garage and always know when to walk away:)

i would walk away from the deal. if i was interviewed to see a rusty P.O.S i
would be mad that he wasted my time. might be a rare combo but condition is
everything, and when its a vague outline of a convertible 4 speed dart. i don't
see how you would make your investment back. A bodies are sweet little
machines but not worth a whole bunch. try to find a better car at a better deal
and if you have to be interviewed, take that as a sign that he is going to ask to
much money for what it is.

-
Back