How tight is too tight?

-

Chuckman

Reaction score
Putting in a crate slant six. How tight should I tighten the valve cover bolts? I know you can end up with a lot of leaks by over tightening and bending the cover.

Putting in a crate slant six. How tight should I tighten the valve cover bolts? I know you can end up with a lot of leaks by over tightening and bending the cover.
I would just snug them with one hand on a rachet held at the rachet head.

Do not use cork, rubber only, glue it to the cover and let dry, put a very thin layer of silicone sealer on the gasket. Make sure the head is oil free and dry. Install and snug the bolts by hand after putting blue lock-tite on them. Bring to full operating temp and torque to spec in service manual.

Do not use cork, rubber only, glue it to the cover and let dry, put a very thin layer of silicone sealer on the gasket. Make sure the head is oil free and dry. Install and snug the bolts by hand after putting blue lock-tite on them. Bring to full operating temp and torque to spec in service manual.

The rubber valve cover gaskets are also called "neoprene". If you want to order them, tell the parts guy that you have a 66 or 67 273 and you will get the proper fel-pro gaskets. They give the neoprene gaskets for the early 273's because you have to adjust the rocker arms with the solid cam/lifter set up.

Then as stated above, just snug them by hand holding onto the head of the ratchet. Then go back and give one final snug after they are all tight.

The rubber valve cover gaskets are also called "neoprene". If you want to order them, tell the parts guy that you have a 66 or 67 273 and you will get the proper fel-pro gaskets. They give the neoprene gaskets for the early 273's because you have to adjust the rocker arms with the solid cam/lifter set up.

Then as stated above, just snug them by hand holding onto the head of the ratchet. Then go back and give one final snug after they are all tight.

How are 273 V-8 valve cover gaskets going to work on a slant 6 ?:eek:ops:

-
Back